1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buy internal Blue Ray Player for PC and Play on HDTV?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 1Strive, Feb 4, 2008.

1. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    What I was thinking of ordering.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106225&CMP=AFC-C8Junction for $189

I want to be able to watch blue ray movies on my pc in my bedroom on the 22 inch acer lcd I have. (Only 1680x1050) and I also only have 2.1 sound in the bedroom.

I would also "like" to be able to play blue ray movies on my firends HDTV and later on mine when I get one. I have a 8800GTS 512mb so it can output to HDTV with the R/G/B or I can buy a DVI to HDMI adapter. Will it play to 1080p. I think so, but will it have good sound? It is software so I assume that it will go 7.1 out of my X-Fi music. Also will it scale up DVDs to 1080p on that display? That should be a software thing, I think.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this.
    No format war comments, please.

Thanks,
    1STRIVE
  2. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I bought a HDMI to DVI cable off Amazon to do this (with gold connectors), however this can also be done with an adapter. It will play 1080p if your tv supports 1080p. Your sound should be fine as your sound card seems to be a good one. As far as upscaling goes, I don't think it does but I'm going to look around to make sure.
    1Strive says thanks.
  3. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am so glad someone can help. I don't know much about HDTV. I know I want a 1080p and that is 1920x1080 res and that Blue Ray is probally going to win over HD-DVD but other than that I don't have any experience.

:respect:
    Thank You,
    Thank You,
    Thank You,

1STRIVE

===============
    Also that sound card has digital out. What is that for? How does it work?
    Thanks
  4. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Look for threads started by me and you will find lot of information. I have spent hours on this project. It might help you.