1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buy now or wait for a new API? (Mantle,DirectX,OpenGL)

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by TiggoRech, Feb 26, 2014.

1. TiggoRech New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, someone knows if the new OpenGL and DirectX API will be compatible with all GPUs?
    I am going to buy a new computer soon, but I wanted to buy a graphic card compatible with those API, because is the first time I am going to buy a high-end graphic card, and I don't want to buy a new graphic card soon. I want to buy and use a graphic card for more or less 3 years or more, playing all my games with maximum graphics settings in 1080p with 60fps+ (at the beginning) and with the time passing, playing with maximum graphics settings in 1080p with 30fps+ (PS: I am not going to buy a 4K TV/Monitor, then, I will always play in 1080p for some long years).

Like: If I buy a GTX780TI, I will be able to use those API, the new one OpenGL or DirectX?
    And for curiosity... who have a GTX580 or any other version of graphic card, will able to use those API?

I don't know if I can share it here, but this is what I am talking about - http://www.dsogaming.com/news/direc...fer-low-level-access-to-reduce-draw-overhead/

(Sorry for bad english)

2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't buy a GPU based entirely on API's. Mantle doesn't even work correctly right now, hardly any games at all have support for it yet. It would be about as effective as buying an NVidia GPU based entirely on PhysX support, pretty pointless. Just buy the best high end GPU you can afford for your budget. All games will run on it, regardless of API's.
    What might your budget be?

TiggoRech says thanks.
  3. TiggoRech New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, this is something hard to say, because I didn't live in USA, and the price of the things here, in my country, is overpriced... but I am looking exactly for a GTX780TI

My idea is: Buy the best components now and don't worry about need to change something soon.

4. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    You won't feel the need to change a 780ti anytime soon on 1080p, at least for 3 years. Hell you could probably run a less beefier GPU. I'm curious, are the custom 290X's cheaper than 780ti's in your country? They're pretty damn good, and if you can get one considerably cheaper than a 780ti (£100 difference in the UK), then I'd probably go for one of those. Nice amount of VRAM, but you probably won't care about that being on 1080p.

TiggoRech and Eroticus say thanks.
  5. rubenclavs

Thanks Received:
    I suggest that you go for the AMD 290 for some of these reasons.

1. Better price-performance ration compared to 290x and 780ti
    2. New Chip from AMD meaning more tweaks/optimization for the drivers soon.
    3. For the API as you have stated above. It runs DX, OpenCL, OpenGL and Mantle (Battlefield as of now). No PhysX but it really isn't something and with limited games and pulls down fps for some instances.

What do you think?

TiggoRech says thanks.
  6. TiggoRech New Member

Thanks Received:
    @RCoon - With 3 years, you mean like I said? In the beginning running games with maximum graphics settings in 60fps+, and with the time passing, with maximum graphics settings in 30fps+?
    Yes, R9 290X is something close of USD$948,65, and GTX 780 TI is something close of USD$1.112,68
    The value depends of the place where you're going to buy, is possible to find more cheaper or more expensive.
    Here you can find a normal GTX 780 for USD$1.369.45, need to take care about where you're going to buy something here.
    AMD isn't good for my use, because my country is hot, sometimes very hot, the card overheats very fast. I have a friend with R9 270x, he's using a fan of the size from his cabinet for keep his computer in a good temperature.

I will only plays using 1 monitor, and in 1080p, maybe I will use another one, but not for game, is just for see the desktop, for watch a Twitch stream or for any other thing.

@rubenclavs - just about the temperature, is really a bad choose for my use :\

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  7. rubenclavs

Thanks Received:
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That is just plain theory my friend.

Stock 290/290x runs at full load at 95^C. But research for those non-reference cards from Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/Sapphire/XFX/TUL it runs temps at a very low level like 50-70^C. My country (Philippines) itself is hot but my card Sapphire 7870 runs at max 65^C.

TiggoRech says thanks.
  8. TiggoRech New Member

Thanks Received:
    The temperature in my country, in celsius, is between 20° to 30°, but my room is between 25° to 40°.

The reasons for I choose a NVIDIA card, are:
    1. The temperature of my room, I really think the graphic card will overhearts here. (My friend with the R9 270X had drop frames in all games, and the reason for it was overheats, and the temperature of his room is like from my room).
    2. My technical is saying for I choose a NVIDIA card (For the reason 1), because for have a AMD graphic card here, I would need water cooler and more for keep the computer in a good tempeature.
    3. I always use NVIDIA card, then, I prefer to continue using them. I really don't feel very good about to start using now AMD graphic cards :\

Edit: But about the API, if OpenGL or DirectX (The low-level version, like Mantle) be compatible with all NVIDIA graphic cards, this isn't something that would help to live for more time? It would be like a GTX 780 TI with the power of an R9 290x with Mantle

Like this - http://www.dsogaming.com/news/john-...tle-8gb-on-consoles-not-a-significant-change/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  9. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Get a custom R9 290x, will run cool.... you'll be happy

Edit: if temps are that high get the largest looking cooler you can buy, all of the cards will have issues with cooling!

TiggoRech says thanks.
  10. Eroticus

Eroticus

Thanks Received:
    Don't buy stock AMD card ! if you are not going to water cool it !

anyway non stock amd card pretty fine, I'm living in hot area and my 5870 survived 4 years and still works perfectly on sister's pc and the r9-290x tri-x working even better on mine pc ....

TiggoRech says thanks.
  11. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    NVidia custom 780ti's and AMD custom 290X's don't run much different in terms of temperatures, maybe 10 degrees at most.
    The only real difference in temps between the two are with reference cards.

As for your other comments, I own an NVidia card, and I have no problem recommending AMD cards. I don't see the attachment people get to NVidia or AMD, they're both pretty much just as good as each other. There's a few percentage points in NVidia's favour when it comes to the top dogs, but you pay for the performance crown.

If temps are your main worry, don't buy a reference model card. The rest will have no problem.

I think in 3 years time you would still be running close to 60 FPS with a 290X or 780ti on 1080p. In this current time you'd be hitting close to 120+ in most average games, excluding titles like BF4 and Crysis etc

TiggoRech says thanks.
  12. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    [ignore]Buy now, APIs are just a marketing strategy from them...

If don't buy now they will launch a new API version months later just for stupid people change their hardware accordingly. Don't fall into this trap.[/ignore]

TiggoRech says thanks.
  13. freeleacher

Thanks Received:
    It never is the right time to buy any hardware its forever changing and forever getting better.
    What you need to ask yourself is do i need IT now if not the longer i wait the better.

TiggoRech, rubenclavs and Vario say thanks.
  14. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Well said

TiggoRech says thanks.
  15. rubenclavs

Thanks Received:
    TiggoRech says thanks.
  16. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    I disagree, the right time to buy hardware is when a price war is going on, which isn't really now....

But don't let that stop you. :)

TiggoRech says thanks.
  17. rubenclavs

Thanks Received:
    ^ AMD cards today is way beyond the prices against Nvidia.

Wait till mining is over then the normal prices will be available.

HAHAHAHA MINING!!! HAHAHA

TiggoRech says thanks.