1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buyer Beware Dreamcast Collection On Steam Broken

Discussion in 'Games' started by Robert-The-Rambler, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1093

Don't make the mistake I did and purchase any of the 4 games in the Dreamcast collection for STEAM until something is done to make the games playable. When I first reported that these games were now available I did not expect them to be riddled with so many bugs. The save games don't work and apparently the config utilitites don't work either. In Sonic Adventure it plays with a F'n tiny window on my 1920 * 1200 desktop. WTF is going on?:banghead:

My link above is to the Steam Forums about the Dreamcast Collection. It doesn't take long to find out that this release might be worthy of a lawsuit if issues are not addressed via a patch.

2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    On the board you posted people have partial fixes:
    Saving
    Changing Settings

I sincerely doubt this will result in a lawsuit. Maybe just a lower rating on BBB.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    A steam game that was ported from something else to steam doesn't work. Color me shocked!

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    There are much better emulator options out there.

I use 64 project and play all my fave games since my controllers are broken, and expensive, and it works so well, and scales, and I can use the power of my GPU.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  5. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Project64 is an N64 emulator.

For Dreamcast I use ChankastEx which works splendidly with Ikaruga; better than Dolphin with the Gamecube version. It also plays Under Defeat and lots of other awesome games.

6. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I saw those fixes but....

Is it too much too ask to have this crap work automatically? And why the hell do I need to go fishing through my Steam folder to find the config utility? Seriously you have to go hunt down the config utility in the Steamapps folder and then it doesn't even friggin work anyway. I set it to 720p and fullscreen and I get neither. It should be implemented in a user friendly manner when you start the game like most every other friggin PC game that has been released in the recent past and it should work when you put it on sale to the public. :nutkick:

Luckily I still have my Dreamcast and last time I checked it worked flawlessly. I even have the real version of Sonic Adventure and you know that actually fills my widescreen HDTV and I don't have to do anything save for connecting it to the HDTV and turning it on. What a concept.

On my 32 bit Vista machine the saves seem to be working properly and the Xbox 360 controller seems to be working. The resolution and config utility are the biggest problem for me. If the saves didn't work for everybody then a lawsuit would be in order as the game would be unplayable. But good job Sega you released a just barely playable collection of games. UPDATE.... As soon as you exit Sonic Adventure your save is gone so the saves don't work for me either. Sega is on my shit list. If only I had a brown bag I would leave a surprise on their doorstep.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  7. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Blame SEGA not steam. That being said, don't expect console ports from old, dead consoles to work on todays hardware and operating systems. Hell, even older versions of windows games have a hard time running on Win 7/Vista.

8. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    C'mon Now

That is bullocks!!! The thing that prevents emulation from working is more legal issues/stubborness of the original companies involved in embracing emulation. They try to resell the same games on their own platforms such as Nintendo DS as portable or PSP which is reusing the same Playstation games now in a portable fashion. I have never understood why a company like Sony or Nintendo didn't have a Steam-like service or use Steam for PC that totally embraces emulation as a huge for profit business. I don't know much about the latest consoles but isn't the Wii offering some type of marketplace for old emulated games? Our PCs can easily play Playstation games, Dreamcast games, and Xbox games and so on if actually money was spent to do it professionally. Hell, amateurs have done a pretty good job in the past. The simple fact is that it is the companies who own the games that are holding emulation back and not the programming and hardware.

9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree. If Steam is going to sell these games, they should function properly. Especially since these games aren't available for the PC in any other format.

10. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Apparently Saved Games In Sonic Fixed

Haven't had time to test myself but the forums over at Steam are indicating that an update today fixed the saved game issue.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783829

I still am in search of a brown bag....... Hopefully the configs will be fixed soon for all the games as well as the saves for all the games.:toast: