1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buying a EVGA GTX680, Should I wait for custom coolers?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Huddo93, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I've found a retailer in Australia that is selling the EVGA GTX680 for around $610 which is about the cheapest around. (other retailers are ~$700)

Now its with the stock cooler, is there really any point of me waiting for any of the custom coolers/PCB's from the separate vendors? i.e MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte and Asus? I do realise there is usually better cooling performance but is it really needed anyway due to the fairly low power consumption of the GTX680 itself?

That's the only thing holding me back from buying a GTX680 right now :) but if the cooling will help with much greater OC's then id definitely consider waiting. I guess I'm just not to sure how well the stock cooler goes with overclocking these particular cards!

I am upgrading from a GTX275, so there's no talking me out of going with a next gen card or the HD7970.

Thanks for any input guys!
  2. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    just go ahead and buy it, in all honesty i dont think cooling is gonna give much better overclocking grab a card be done with it,

look at HD 7970 owners like myself bought a Direct CU II TOP edition for $630 USD, card wont go past 1100 even with voltage, period only runs 61c at load, yet many reference cards do 1125 or more on stock voltage.

get a GTX 680 if it needs better cooling THEN get a better cooler lol,