1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buying a new mobo + HDD but want to keep data

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    So I have an old Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 right now and I'm going to buy a WD 640GB Cav Black... I'm not sure whether or not to ghost the data from my Seagate over to the WD because when I switch the motherboard I'll most likely have to put in a Windows key and I don't have one because my computer didn't come with one when I bought it at BB.

What exactly are my options? Can I just use a friend's XP key? Do I need the actual Windows XP key? Can I just plug in the new WD drive, transfer all the data I want to keep, and THEN install Windows (probably W7 for now cause its free) on that drive? I'm pretty confused, anybody want to chip in what they think is the best way to handle this?

2. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Use a software to clone ur hard drive. You don't need a Window key. I did it for my laptop. Can't remember what program I used though.

3. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    When you install a new mobo you will need to put a fresh install of a OS on there.

The new mobo will need its own drivers to operate correctly.
    The old harddrive will have the old mobo info on it and may not even boot.
    If it does it will more than likely crash.
    You can install the old harddrive after you set up the new mobo and new harddrive to recover your data from it then.
    You will need to buy a OS or install a free version of windows 7.

4. The_Real_DeaL31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    why not get a video card instead, your mobo is fine lol

5. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    No, my mobo is NOT fine! It's probably the worst AM2 board ever made... I'm upgrading to AM3/785G so I'll use the onboard 4200 for now until I decide what GPU I want... the onboard will suit all my video processing needs fine anyway, I might wait it out until DX11 cards.

So there's really no 'perfect' solution is there... =[ Guess I'll have to try out W7!

Thanks guys, anymore input is appreciated but I think I have the solution.

6. The_Real_DeaL31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    buy a video card now, then a motherboard down the road, or do this pick up a cheap video card and motherboard, cause why get a powerful video card down the road when your cpu will be the bottleneck, unless its under a 9600gt, or ati 3850

7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    The 785g is just days from being delivered (at least where I live), so I would go with that upgrade. Hopefully I can get one in the next few weeks! :D The HD4200 will be a lot better than the 6150something you use now.

As Asylum said, you need a fresh install when changing mobo though.

8. The_Real_DeaL31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually from what i,ve seen 785g chipset mobo's are out now, they look promising, i wonder how the onboard hd4200 performs compared to the old hd3000+ series

9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I think it's about a 20% gain in gaming at least.. I read somewhere it's on par with the HD3450 in performance, but I don't know if it's true.