1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

buying games on steam with visa gift cards

Discussion in 'Games' started by shevanel, Sep 5, 2009.

1. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a gift card from walgreens that has a VISA logo. Online I have registered the card, my name and address is all inputed into the card settings for online use. Spending balance says $50 and all seems fine. I tried to finally buy UT3 through steam but card has been declined twice. I'm not sure if this is a card side error or if steam doesn't let people use visa gift cards.

Any advice?

2. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know here in the UK only certain retailers take giftcards, it could just be that steam wont accept it. Best to send them an e-mail asking them,

Steam accepts all major cards and paypal/cash transfers thats all i know.

3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    What shevanel is talking about are gift debit cards that are non-reloadable and you can use them supposedly anywhere. You have to run them as credit and you must have enough balance in your card to complete the transaction. Maybe Steam doesn't accept them yet. I'd say go to Publix and load up on some groceries lol. (Yay Florida!) Or, you could just go to BB or GameStop and buy the disc.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    bestbuy is in altamonte Jstn, like 45 minutes! Closed and Im trying to play tongiht! (first friday night off in 4 months!)

On my online balance it says under transaction 9:12 registered 9:24 activated.. that was before I ran the attempt twice.

After I noticed the card was "activated" I tried again and denied!

I'm going to try direct2drive