1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buying NEW Graphic Cards on eBay any good? Let's talk about that!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by bccmini247, May 14, 2014.

1. bccmini247

bccmini247 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you guys think of getting a new and budget worthy Graphics Card on eBay? Are they any good and do they do what you want them to do with the look it supposedly gives?

2. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    umm well, I have purchased new graphics cards on eBay before. You just need to be careful about choosing the right seller. I bought from a local as I wanted the assurance that I could return it should I have any issues with it. Back in March I bought an Asus R9 280x DC2T from a guy on eBay brand new - and yes it was actually brand new, sealed and works great. He brought back about 10-20 of them from America where they are cheaper and then sell them under retail here and making a small profit because of the price difference.

I don't really know what you are asking though. I'm interpreting your question as if it is asking if it is safe buying new graphics cards on eBay. Safe? Yes, but use caution.

3. Eroticus

Eroticus

Thanks Received:
    Never bought a graphic card ~.~

but i bought 2 ssds

Vertex 4 256GB and Evo 1TB

and both works perfect =)

4. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    I think what the OP is trying to say is what experiences people have with buying graphics cards on eBay. I think its quite risky, but if you're careful, you can get a good deal. I hear there are Tech-related shops on eBay that get stock of seemingly new graphics cards, but cannot test them as they don't have a PC the right size to test larger graphics cards. So there are lots that are sold untested, but probably work great, which can be bought comparatively cheap (and are often new). But you cannot tell if they do work, and its a risk, as many businesses will have no returns policies purely because of this/

Layton

5. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Strange thing with eBay is...
    Everyone assumes eBay is the cheapest way to buy second hand things, but in my experience, sellers seem to think that buyers assume everything is at its cheapest on eBay, so things end up being more overpriced (to make up for postage costs, not to mention the 10% fee eBay takes and 5% fee PayPal takes). In my experience, semi new tech or items from the last 2 or 3 generations tend to be horribly overpriced on eBay, with people trying to make back their initial investment. The only hardware worth buying on eBay is the kind that's pretty damn old, like a GTX 275 for example.

Take a look at our B/S/T forums, check how much things are on there, and then check the exact same item on eBay. You'll probably find eBay prices are stupidly inflated. Odds are you can probably buy it brand new on Amazon for not much more, or you can check Clearance Lines on various etailers for second hand hardware that actually works, because eBay is filled with scammers, liars and cheaters, only out to line their own pockets and shift some not quite right gear.

manofthem and the54thvoid say thanks.
  6. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Be careful with buying from Ebay. Many manufacturers will not honor warranty on items bought from Ebay.

7. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    I have bought a new Samsung 840 Pro off ebay and it was different than buying off a forum. I have also bought used video cards 9800Pro and a 560Ti all which still work. My friend just bought a new R9 290 off ebay and it works like any other new card. ALWAYS check the feedback of the seller and check if they have a heatwave.

8. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    This ^^

Ebay is dangerously over priced for new tech and for 2nd hand stuff you need to be careful. From private sellers I've often noticed that the more expensive the tech item is, the more dubious the sale. I reported someone a month or so back for advertising a Titan using a description he had copied from another seller and pictures he'd copied from another. I asked him about this and he said he was too lazy to do the descriptions himself so he just copied other descriptions.

The only saving grace is that Paypal/Ebay strongly, I mean 99.9% of the time favours the buyer.

But as RCoon says, Ebay is not the best bet. Far from cheap and the 2nd hand stuff is without warranty. Buyer beware.

RCoon says thanks.
  9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Amazon is typically cheaper, just shop around and see what you can find. Some of the ebay shops to actually honor manuf warranties.

10. bccmini247

bccmini247 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I always look around at price differences and make sure they are worth getting for what they are

11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I once bought a Sapphire 1950Pro off ebay that was refurbed. Looked a played as if brand new, I think it was probably just returned and sent back out after testing. As a big plus I found out Sapphire puts a warranty on their refurbs. It's just dated to the manufacture day vs purchase date. I had two years warranty on it.

The only alternative back then on AGP was an Nvidia card that costed twice as much and had problems with a too thin HS causing the fan to run full speed all the time. It wasn't long before they were discontinued.

12. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    avoid ebay is something sounds too good to be true then it usually is
    go though amazon/newegg

13. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    I bought a P4 2.8 CPU from China. Took 3 weeks to arrive but, It WORKED!! and has since, unfortunately it is in storage with my SocketA and the AMD dually...Soon, Hope, to get them running again.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I just recently bought a used 290 off eBay after the mining crash, and it has been great so far. For higher prices items, I always make sure the seller has good feedback, has a solid and logical listing, is NOT international, and speaks/writes coherently (not like: u biddin' on a graffics card. And yes, when i was looking for a 290, someone listed their cards as "graffics card" :shadedshu:).

Usually, I will buy on the forums, as @RCoon said, for a better deal and typically better sellers (more knowledgeable anyway), but at that time, the best deals were on eBay so I went that way. You can get burned; just do your due diligence prior to purchasing.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Its a gamble. People buy referb and sell as new. Besides I watch prices pretty close and Amazon is hard to beat as well as Newegg, Micro Center, Fry's, Tiger Direct

16. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    some places who have their own stores and still use ebay tend to use ebay as the place they get rid of b grade items for full price.

naming no names coughebuyercough

17. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a sad state of affairs when one of the worst UK hardware companies (OCUK) and one of the best UK hardware companies (Ebuyer) just entirely switch places. Ebuyer sell hoovers and blenders now for christ's sake. Got too big for their boots I think.

marsey99 says thanks.
  18. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    i know :(

worst part about ebuyer is how the staff get bonus pay for fobbing off people wanting to return items these days :(

be a cold day in hell before i use them again now i know that.

that being said it must be getting nippy down there these days as ocuk are much better since gibbo went back and they was took over by caseking.

19. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    So true i got a polk audio sub new for $200 of newegg and 18 month later i put it on ebay and got $170 for it and to think i posted it for $5.. There crazy on there that's for sure.

20. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I bought around 8-9 6950's/70's a few years back on Ebay. It's like some have said, ALWAYS check out the seller, IMHO, if it is opened in ANY way, it's NOT "new", it is TOO easy to open something, use it, clean it, and re-Box it. MOST of My experiences were positive, except for a 6950 that some clown tried to flash up to a 6970, and boned it, it had the dual bios switch, and it's F@#%'D second Bios went un-noticed by Me for some time. Also, Fan noise can be common, when people get new cards @ release and find that the one they got had a loud fan , or coil whine, they will sometimes sell it on Ebay to get rid of it. I have had MOST of My cards warranties honored by the manufacturer, after Ebay purchase, although it's not 100% (powercolor/XFX)did it for Me. Over all if the deal isnt good-great, Go with a retailer like Newegg. Microcenter doesnt have the Best GPU prices(sales excluded). good luck

21. moonboystrikesback

moonboystrikesback

Thanks Received:
    I bought a Sapphire X800XT Platinum on ebay back in high school for ~$50 as an emergency replacement after I murdered a 7600GS (aggressive overclocking, crap cooling), and it's been rock-solid for almost 6 years now.

22. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I was binning 3770ks from Microcenter and selling them on eBay only losing $15-20 each (Ebay profit was cancelled by the fees)