1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buying new mobo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by diddle, Dec 3, 2008.

1. diddle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm buying a new motherboard and currently I have no way to back up my data (which is nearly 100 gigs that I can't really afford to loose) and I was wondering if there is anything I can do so that my computer will still work.
    My friend says that you can just reinstall windows without loosing any of your data and I'm wondering if that would work.
    Thanks.
  2. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    you can reapir it if its vista but repairing in vista kills all info.

Depending on what board you buy you can just plug the board in and get the info back.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Using XP, there is a sneaky trick, where you can update your Windows (insert Win CD when Windows is running), and during resart, shut off the comp, throw new mobo in, and start. Windows then takes care of the drivers for the motherboard, and the change is done without losing anything. Although I'm not 100% sure if it works and if I said it correctly, so don't rely on me. But it was something in that direction.
  4. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Should just be able to hook it up after your upgrade and the info will still be on it!!