1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Buzzing from receiver while on

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by anonymous6366, Sep 14, 2012.

1. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    hello all, I have a problem with the receiver in my frat's living room. It's a sony (I can look up the model if needed) and whenever it is on there is a buzzing sound coming from the speakers (cerwin vega xls15's i believe). I've looked around and think that its something with a ground loop. I haven't been able to find anything about how to fix it though. all this is used for is playing music from laptops/phones. Also it makes the buzzing sound with everything disconnected except for the speakers. Hopefully this is an easy fix, I'm guessing it is a pretty common problem. let me know if you have any ideas!

thanks in advance
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    so if you disconnect the inputs to the receiver you still get noise through the speakers when the receiver has power?
  3. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    yes, with everything disconnected and the receiver powered on there is noise
  4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Been awhile since I dug around the back of a receiver. Used to be there was a actually a ground "pin" on the back of receivers you could hook a wire to and ground it yourself(to a pipe for example)
    I guess it depends on the age of the amp. Something to check for anyway.
  5. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    I will look when I'm there tonugly!
  6. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    ah autocorrect fail lol. anyway i looked and there deffinately is a ground on the back of the reciever. so do i hook some speaker wire up the that and attach it somewhere then? if so where?
  7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yep just strip both ends so you have some bare wire to work with. As to where to attach it well like I said earlier a water pipe is ideal but not always convenient. Got Rad's or Base Board heaters?
  8. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The center screw on the faceplate of a wall outlet is grounded to the metal on the plug inside. You can use that.
    You can then run the wire along the power cord to keep things looking neat and tidy.
    INSTG8R and anonymous6366 say thanks.
  9. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    ok sweet, i'll try that. keeping things neat and tidy in that house isnt really of concern... lol
  10. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Eureka!

Last time I had to ground a receiver it was set up in my basement so had lots of "ground sources" available.
  11. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Did grounding the receiver eliminate the buzz?
  12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:

Also hoping it sorted it out. It was long shot it even had the ground on the back(Not knowing anything about the receiver) The "correct" steps have been taken. But did it work? :confused:
  13. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    It may not be his problem. If he has a powered Subwoofer it could be a ground loop caused by the two powered units (receiver and subw) having different ground potentials. In that case he would need to ground the subw to the receiver and both to an earth ground.
  14. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    I actually didn't get a chance to try yet as I haven't been at the house since last night (work doesn't get done at night lol)

Oh and the subwoofers are passive ones in the same enclosure as the mid and tweeter
  15. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    tried that today and it seemed to make the buzzing a little quieter but its still there. could it be that the reciever is just old?
  16. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    Any other ideas or is the receiver just toast?
  17. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Could be the power circuitry in the reciever is toast. Maybe try and open it up and see if any of the caps or transistors are fried?
  18. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yeah if the grounding didn't kill the buzzing it may be something more serious. Decent Speaker wire? possibly picking up some interference from something else near by. I am reaching now. I woulda hoped the ground wire sorted it...
  19. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Speaker wire will never produce an error like this. It must be something within the reciever.
  20. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'm grasping as I said.:eek:
  21. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    I do want to try different wire because the stuff in there now is like 16 gauge and way too long like 20 feet long for something 5 feet away. Like you guys said its unlikely that that is the problem but its worth a shot
  22. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond New Member

Thanks Received:
    That grounding connector on the back of the receiver may be for either an AM/FM tuner or for a phono turntable.

Does the receiver have more than one pair of speaker outputs? If so, use the secondary speaker outputs to see if the buzzing stops.

Reverse the primary speaker outputs so that left channel goes to right speaker, right channel to left speaker. If buzzing switches from one speaker to the other, either something wrong with receiver output or speaker cable.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  23. Kalevalen

Thanks Received:
    Start simple. Troubleshooting ground loops involves taking things in order and checking a few basic, common elements to see if the problem is simple, or complex. For example, if adjusting the volume on your receiver does not alter the hum level, then the problem must be occurring after that point. It if occurred prior, then the receiver would typically raise the overall level of noise. Make sense?

Light dimmers, flourescent lamps, and other appliances that share the same circuit or common ground with your equipment can cause hums.

Check the polarity of the outlet - it may be wired backwards. You can get a polarity checker at Home Depot for about $5

Also NEVER use a three prong to two prong AC adapter to fix a ground loop problem.