1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bye Bye Cremation Hello Liquefaction

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by HossHuge, Aug 30, 2011.

1. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I find the freeze drying idea kind of wierd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14114555

2. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Won't be "bye bye" at all. There's a massive market for people who want their ashes compressed to a diamond after cremation; just like my Mum wants done.

3. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Looks alright I guess. I don't think telling people your dumping this into the municipal water system is going to help. It may be legal and safe but that doesn't always make for a acceptable perception with the public.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  4. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Nice. I'll change my will include this as my top choice. Cremation is now second.

5. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Sure, I'll have the steak and potatoes. And for the drink, I guess I'll just have some human remains.

6. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    That was my exact thought! Better they dump it in the sewer. Let mother nature return it to the water system.

7. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I found that strange as well.

The lady talking about using the the body as compost was strange to me. Imagine hearing, "Gramma really made these tomatoes taste much better!"

DonInKansas and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  8. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Hmm interesting. I've always thought bout this, what to do with my body when I die. Still undecided though, if ever there is something afterwards, whether there's an afterlife et al, well I'd rather be in a "complete" state when I wake up! But then again, being bare-bones won't be pretty either.

The compost part is sick though.

9. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    Well we all know machines do not always work 100% every time exactly as man designed it. So the boneless fingers floating through the water treatment plants may be a surprise to some. :laugh: I am kidding as I am sure there should be filters in place. But since I work close to this field it is quite amazing the things you will see.

10. majestic12

majestic12

Thanks Received:
    My preference is for cryogenic freezing. I could spend eternity next to Walt Disney's head.

11. twilyth Guest

Motel Hell - truly a classic.
    Alcor

I used to be a member but the annual dues were getting to be ridiculous. My life insurance policy still has them listed as the beneficiary though.

12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This disturbs me. I'm very glad I'm not connected to any municipal water.

13. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I would rather have my bodyparts be recycled (donorship), any metalwork that might be in my mouth or where-ever be recycled and predators may be feasting on my flesh if anything of it is left.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Give me to a necrophiliac. I won't care, I'll be dead.

15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    I wonder whether a corpse can get a STD from that. ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    News?

The woman that this article was written about (the one who champions this process) is not someone new to this. Years ago there was a book called The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. They had a long section on what this woman wanted to do, but I'll offer the highlights for those not in the know:

1) Burning releases carbon, and toxic metals due to fillings and implants.
    2) LN2 (liquid nitrogen) is produced as a chemical byproduct, and can thus be purchased cheaper than the fuel for a cremator.
    3) People can be pulped with ultrasonic vibrations, assuming the water is in crystalline form.

People goo is nutritious for plants, but the process is best described as gruesome. Imagine a frog in a blender; yeah, it's that gruesome.

This said, I don't care whether it's this of cremation. I will accept either means of disposing of my meat shell when I've vacated it. The only goofiness is letting loved ones see you, which I don't think anyone in their right mind would allow. This is why people are opposed to the process, without fully understanding what it is that creeps them out.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  17. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    I would like to drink my wife. But then I guess I would have to pee her out too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Imagine for what ever reason one is not actually dead.

To die by either of the new process here must be the worst way to die.

Granted though if I'm already dead I won't care what they do with my body. Chop it up, disintegrated it, whatever, just make sure I'm really dead before you do that.

19. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    ash to ash dust to dust
    but the memory remains ...

20. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    I always wondered why people who believe in a physical reincarnation of some sort are so afraid of having their bodies disposed of by cremation or means like this. If a god has the power to create you, bring you back from dead (where it's scientifically known that the entire body decays, potentailly... someone once told me that statistically speaking, each person alive on the planet should have one or two atoms present in his or her body that were once part of William Shakeaspear's body - or anyone from that long ago for that matter) in a physical form would be unwilling or incapable to bring you back if you donate organs or cremate your body.

I say, as long as it's safe, and better for the environment, good.
    as opposed to suffocating in sheer terror after being buried alive or burnt to death, the closest thing a physical body can come to the traditional description of hell, it doesn't seem much worse to me. It wouldn't take the full two-and-a-half hours to kill you, just to fully liquefy and sterilize the biomass.

21. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK, dead people are being stung somewhere during the declaration of death in order to verify the persons' passing.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. twilyth Guest

I know we have at least a few members from India and east Asia so I'll let them take this. but until then, IIRC, Hindus believe in reincarnation and I thought that the primary means of disposing of corpses was via cremation.

BTW, Buddhists also believe in reincarnation - it just doesn't have to be in this particular universe (seriously. I'm not making that up).

However having said this, I'm guessing that you mean the WESTERN idea of reincarnation as opposed to it's historical antecedents. :)

23. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Ever hear of the Burning Monk (WARNING May be graphic, LINK LEADS TO EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS)? He seemed to take it well (Granted he was a monk).(Not trying to joke around here or anything of that nature.) I'm just wonder maybe once the fire kills nerves you don't feel anything.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  24. twilyth Guest

For people who don't want to see something that might be disturbing (ok, very disturbing), you probably shouldn't go to that link since it really is about a Buddhist a monk who immolated himself as a protest to the Vietnam war.

As far as I can tell, the first image of him actually on fire is at mark 1:37 (no guarantees) and although the commentary is leading up to it, they spring the image on you.

25. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    If you paid attention during history class / when watching the news (age dependent) you would have been knowing that it was out of protest against the "democratic" Southern Vietnamese government of president Ngo Dinh Diem. Not out of protest against the Second Vietnam War*, which had not yet started IIRC.

* the one with the Americans and South Vietnam fighting the Vietcong and troops from North V., China and the USSR (though the latter two mainly provided weapons and such)

Crunching for Team TPU