1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

c2d 6750 oc problems

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by LuzSYfer, Mar 6, 2008.

1. LuzSYfer

LuzSYfer New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi!
    my rig:
    c2d 6750, asus P5E, geil ddr2 800

this is my first oc, and my goal is 3,2ghz (which what i've read so far shouldn't be a problem with that cpu)
    so what i did was set the fsb to 400, vcore 1.4v, ram at stock (800, 4-4-4-12, 2.0v), intel speedstep and eist are disabled, pci-e is at 100
    result: after about 5:30h of prime95 - sudden restart – so i assume that my system is not stable …
    ram should be stable at these timings, cooling isn’t the problem either (max load core temp
    was 46c)

now to the real question – is it normal, that everst and cpu-z still show me a vcore of 1.33-1.35, even though i‘ve set the vcore to 1.4 in bios?
    how much more would you suggest to raise the vcore, and should i raise any other volts as well?

thx in advance for your answers, greetings from vienna

2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cpu-z and everest will report those voltages because of what's known as vdroop and its very common. Trust your bios above all else. What is your chipset? You can try loosening your ram timings and giving your nb chipset a tad extra voltage. That chip can make it to 4 ghz with about 1.45v usually, so I would say if you can't get to 3.2 stable with that voltage, it isn't your cpu holding you back, and you probably shouldn't go higher than that.

LuzSYfer says thanks.
  3. LuzSYfer

LuzSYfer New Member

Thanks Received:
    my chipset is intel x38

4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Does your Bios have a setting called Load line Calibration (or something along those lines. Can't remember the exact name of it). If so, enable it. It kills the voltage droop under load.

LuzSYfer says thanks.
  5. LuzSYfer

LuzSYfer New Member

Thanks Received:
    enabled line calibration in bios, also went to vcore 1,41, till now (~7h prime95) stable

6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    just set it a little higher to get the right voltage under load showing in cpu-z..

i use now use speed step.. this drops the whole lot down when the system is just browsing and in my case dosnt affect system stability in the slightest..

my 6750 ran nice at 3.6 gig with 1.5 vore set and showing in cpu-z.. once u go over 3.6 the volts have to go up.. 1.65 at 3.9 gig for example.. not ideal for 24/7..

trog