1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

C2D E6400@ 3.2Ghz Needs Advice Please?!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by LYNCHIN, Jan 14, 2008.

1. LYNCHIN New Member

Thanks Received:
    I has been a while since I posted here. At the time I think I was at my Rigs limit with components that I had. But I made a upgrade, Bought Four 1GB sticks of G-Skill PC6400 5,5,5,12 Ram:)
    So, To get my chip to run at 3.2ghz, I have to bump the V.core to 1.425 (1.328 CPU-Z) under load. So Basically my V.Core still has some headroom if CPU-z is reading 1.328 under load, Right?! I am insure of this V-Droop concept, I also used Everest to double check my V.Core. CPU-Z seems to be reading things Right according to Everest. And the Temps are at 59-60C after 1 hour of (Max CPU Heat Test) On prime. During Gaming, My Temps don't get Over 53-55C. I have heard that you can't Overheat these chips, Or that it is very hard to overheat them. But I have seen in lots of other Articles that 60C under Load is a bit high for Prolonged use. I have also seen people use 1.5 or 1.5.5 V.Core to get there CPU to where they wanted it. I would like to Run my CPU higher than 3.2Ghz, And keep the Ram at 4,4,4,10 For gaming if possible? If I have to, I don't mind loosening the Ram off to hit higher CPU speeds. I have found that Higher CPU speed Trumps Tighter timings in Gaming Apps.
    Well I am satisfied with it's performance in all area's except Crysis Gaming performance. I just want to be able to get every bit of Juice out of my Rig I can for that Game.
    I don't plan on going too much higher than 3.2GHZ on the CPU, I just need some advice about if 60-65C is safe for prolonged use? I would love to hit 3.4 or 3.5Ghz. But I am sure I will have to set the BIOS V.Core to around 1.5Volts to get 3.5 Stable. What are the Max CPU temps that are safe for a 2 to 3 hour Gaming session. BTW, I use Core temp to monitor my CPU temps. What Is the Best Apps to use to monitor C2D temps. As you can see, My MOBO has quite a V-Droop. 1.425v on BIOS is only 1.328v under full Orthos Load, According to CPU-Z And Everest. Please, I need a straight Answer on this:banghead:
    And on a side note, I won a Thermaltake BigTyphoon(Lapped) After Market Cooler. Do you guys think I will have lower temps using the Thermaltake over my Zalman CNPS 9500?? It should be here in a few days.
    Thanx for any and all help people:)
  2. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I think 3.2g is pretty solid for the e6400, you're running it at 400fsb which is pretty sweet. Highest I could reasonable get mine was 3.36g for some benching, but it was getting into the low 60C range, which is too much for me.

IMHO, 3.2g w/ tight ram timings is better than 3.4 with higher temps/volts and looser timings. If you were watercooling I'd say go for 3.5+ but otherwise just go for the best OC you can maintain stability at. I'd bet that you won't be able to tell much of a difference @ 3.4 anyway.
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
  3. Matt18 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using the thermaltake big typhoon(not lapped). I am running a C2D e6600 at stock voltage and have it OC'd to 3.2ghz stable. My idle temps are have been around 40c. If I open the side of the case my idle temps drop to about 35c. However, the highest it gets under load is about 45 w/ side of case open and 50 w/ case closed. Not to bad.

The one thing to remember with this cooler is the airflow is totally different the then the zalman. Zalman is front to back and makes more sense. The big typhoon blows air towards the MB. I have been very happy with this cooler but It all depends on the way your case is set up. I am going to mod my cas so that there is a duct going to the fan on the typhoon that brings in fresh air from outside the case, rather than hot air from inside the case. Let me know what results you get, I am curious how it compares to the zalmans.

FYI, the big typhoon is BIG.
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
  4. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    i did that @ stock vcore. im using an ACfreezer 7 w/AS5, im ina tropical country and the highest i see is 48 @ idle a & 55 @ load
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
  5. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    don't be afraid to up the Vcore a bit. i don't understand why people are so afraid to push past 1.5v on the vcore. i've done 1.7v on both my e6700 and my q6600. the only thing i do suggest is don't go past 1.55v unless you have GOOD cooling. i pushed my e6700 to 4ghz with a Vcore of 1.625 on a zalman 9700 and it ran pretty hot, 45c idle and 61c load. it was for benching only though. just be careful.
    LYNCHIN says thanks.
  6. iamollie New Member

Thanks Received:
    doesnt prolonged high voltages cause processor to have reduced life span??
  7. LYNCHIN New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems again some say go ahead and crank it up. My Big Typhoon was sent back to shipper by mistake. So now I have to wait for another month,LOL. Once that baby is in , I'll retry. The Big Typhoon has also been Lapped:) So I should see a nice drop in temps when I make the switch. Then I should have a little more headroom to turn things up higher. But as 'iamollie' states, Doesn't prolonged High V.Core shorten life span? I plan on buying a new Cpu later in the year. So it only needs to last a year from now tops. So will my CPU last that long at 1.5 or higher on the V.Core?!
    Thanx for the replies.
  8. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    I have an E6750. I have my FSB @ 405x8 which gives me 3.24. My ram wont clock higher than that as it is only rated at 667 MHz and is @800. But the interesting thing is I have my V.core set to 1.200 and I ran Orthos for over an hour with excelent temps. I wouldnt mind betting that I could run orthos 24 hour without crashing either.