1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

C2D vs C2Q vs PII

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DarkEgo, Jan 10, 2009.

?

What CPU/ motherboard

1. Q9550 with Biostar IP45

31.6%
  2. Q6600 with Biostar TP45HP

7.9%
  3. E8500 with Biostar TP45HP

2.6%
  4. Phenom II with Biostar 790GX

50.0%
  5. Other

7.9%
  1. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but look at the big picture the OP seems to upgrade every 6 months so really this thread is moot .
    Price /performance ? Come on the op wont even have it long enough to get any thing like that out of it LOL!
    Might as well get a dual core and stick with that .

2. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    Does the PII 940 work in an AM3 DDR3 board?

3. trickson

Thanks Received:
    With this said I would go with the Q9550 setup less to have to buy in the long run and you can keep your water block aside from that if you really want to go AMD then do not aske us as this will only start a war of AMD vs Intel and this is not the place for that .
    I say the Q9550 as well as stated your water block can stay the same you really can keep the MOBO you have now saving you even more cash and you will be on par with the i7 in terms of performance when you go to over clock .

DarkEgo says thanks.
  4. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I never said AMD would last 6 months get it right will you !
    THE OP UPGRADES EVERY 6 MONTHS !
    Why would you say future proof and then say for 6 month only ? when I think future proof I think of 2-3 years down the road . If you want to make new builds every 6 month you must have lots of cash and if that is the case the go with AMD as you will need to keep upgrading till you reach the level that the i7 is at now by this time 2 years from now you will have had what 4 different computers and by then you should be reaching the point of the i7 power with the AMD setup .
    Good luck bro...
    Were the HELL does it say that AMD will only last for 6 months ?
    God you AMD fanboys are really starting to PISS ME THE F&^% OFF !
    Every GOD DAMN time I say some thing EVEN remotely against AMD you AMD FANBOYS twist it and call me names and treat me like I know shit ! I am getting really sick of this !

5. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Geez guys just calm down. We don't need to get personal, this bickering keeps going back and forth just let it go. Make the case for whatever topic is at hand w/o getting personal please. Argue the point, not the person. :)

6. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I do not give a good god damn what you recommend what I do care about is that you are wrong about what I have been saying twisting it around and pissing me off !
    Darkego Well for me 6 months is future proofing. so I came back with this .
    Why would you say future proof and then say for 6 month only ? when I think future proof I think of 2-3 years down the road . If you want to make new builds every 6 month you must have lots of cash and if that is the case the go with AMD as you will need to keep upgrading till you reach the level that the i7 is at now by this time 2 years from now you will have had what 4 different computers and by then you should be reaching the point of the i7 power with the AMD setup .
    Good luck bro...
    Then you came up with this .
    Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Indeed. Quad isnt needed for gaming. But I do resent Trickson for making false claims about AMD lasting 6 months, that is the issue at hand that one needs to address.

What part of this am I supposed to be happy with ? And just tell me the part that is a false claim .

7. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No I don't believe so. It doesn't have the AM3 controller in it.

DarkEgo says thanks.
  8. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Darkego was the one that said for him 6 months is future proof .

9. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    As mentioned. Current q6600 L8xxxx xhips are poor clockers.

DarkEgo and Darren say thanks.
  10. trickson

Thanks Received:
    And then you bring out some crap on me ? no no thanks . I am good and pissed now thank you . as I stated before I will do so again since it seems that my point gets trampled on by the AMD back lash crap !

OP DARKEGO go with a CPU upgrade (If you can ) saving yourself some cash and keeping your water block also saving you about 100 bucks as well . the Q9550 is a far better choice and for you will do you well for a LONG TIME TO COME !

11. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. I think I will wait for a DDR3 capable Phenom II to upgrade. Then I can keep that chip for maybe a year. That is unless I find a really good deal on a C2D or C2Q.

12. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't expect miracles with AM3. Rememeber the transition to AM2 before gave no performance improvements.

Why would the transition to ddr3 give a large boost. Even ddr3 on core 2 quads doesn't seem to give any decent performance boost.

DarkEgo says thanks.
  13. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    This is not working man, not working at all. When I've read the thread title I was like: How you gonna compare the Core 2 with a Pentium II :laugh:. Oh wait, stupid Phenom. I mean wtf? Use at least P2 or something like that.

14. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

15. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I do not recall ever saying AMD will only last for 6 months must be a type-o or you are miss reading it . Or reading into it . :mad:

16. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    DarkEgo,

You have a fantastic processor currently, C2D E72000 which is overclocked at 3.8 GHz, your system is a beast. In your situation I would keep your existing CPU and its more than enough for today's applications, its actually got enough longevity that one doesn't need to upgrade for a few more years. Frankly, with 4 GBs of ram and a ATI 4850 I think your system is currently well rounded.

I would hold off any upgrades for a while, but if you have the compulsion to upgrade I would advise that you buy either a Q9500/Q9550 that way you can use your existing motherboard and hence save on cost.

I feel jumping onto the Phenom II bandwagon would be a wrong move because you'll need a new motherboard as well as the CPU, likewise I feel that jumping on the i7 bandwagon is equally wrong as you'll need a new motherboard, CPU in addition to DDR3 memory. With this in mind the Q9xxx series is the best choice. However I must stress that your current rig isn't outdated and could easily go a couple more years.

Edit:

So this is a fresh build?

This changes everything then, if you're determined to go the quad route for longevity, I'd either go Socket 775/Q9550 or Socket AMD+/Phenom 940

After stating that this is a gaming rig which is being built from cratch I would go with the Phenom 940 combo as its cheaper with similar performance.

Q9550 with Biostar IP45: $449.98
    Phenom II with Biostar 790GX: $334.99

DarkEgo, you said that your brother is using an Athlon 3800+ is that on a AM2 socket, couldn't he pop in the Phenom II with a bios update and hence saving on motherboard costs?

Edit 2:

Nope, it was not a typing error, your quote is as follows :) --->

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    DarkEgo and CDdude55 say thanks.
  17. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    Well the reason I am upgrading is I am trying to help my little bro out. He wants a gaming computer, currently he has a AMD 3800+ and a 3870. I thought I would help hi out and upgrade at the same time.

18. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Some thing I can agree with as well . I have been saying this through out the thread then for some reason I got drug into some cruel name calling episode were I was a liar and dishonest .
    Can you see how this might make some one feel ?

19. trickson

Thanks Received:
    If you are going to go that way then I say the Q9550 would be a great choice for you right now . But do what you want I can not say any more about it I am done !

DarkEgo says thanks.
  20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Keep on topic. Drop it.

DarkEgo says thanks.
  21. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    i would go with a Q6600 and an asus p5k, anything that isnt an SE is good

22. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    OMG I didn't look at this thread for that purpose! I though wow this guy's really comparing a c2d and c2q with a pentium 2? :wtf:

However I agree with Darren - to get the best bang for your buck you should wait. Try holding the upgrade bug for a couple of months and move on from there...

23. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    There is the problem. He has an HP at the moment, so I was gonna give him an old Lian LI case, the E7200, the P5q, some Tracers I have, a S1283, and a 550 watt antec I have. that would mean I have 4 GB of G.SKILL PI's, My WCing, my Antec true power trio, a Centurion 590, a 4850, and a gtx280. I was gonna sell the 4850 and use my own funds to build this rig. Now I could probably get the AM2 mounting from D-TEK or petras for a small price. So I can go Phenom II or core 2 quad. I might decide to keep the processor for a year. What should I get to last a year. A Q9400 or a phenom II, they would both be about the same price.
    EDIT: or I could get a custom mounting bracket made, sell my memory and go CORE I7. That would be quite expensive though.

24. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Phenom II 940 would be better. The unlocked multi would make it really easy to OC :)

DarkEgo says thanks.
  25. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    Calculate the exact cost of both rigs and get the cheapest, performance is matched so it comes down to finances now.

Even if its by a few $ or £, get the cheapest.

DarkEgo says thanks.