1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cable / adsl router?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by fryup, Oct 1, 2008.

1. fryup New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi guys

have just had broadband from virgin installed and planning to buy a new router and pci wireless card, am looking at gettin the : Edimax EW-7728IN nMax 300Mbps pci card as it seems to be the latest tech? looking on overclockers.co.uk at router and am confused what the difference is between a cable and an adsl router? im proably being daft here but at the moment i have the cable connected to the modem virgin gave us and then that liked to the rubbish wireless router they also supplied.

Any help would be appriciated,

cheers.
  2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    You want a cable router, as you have cable broadband. ;)

My recommendation is not to get a cheap one, I used to have to reboot it every few hours. I am currently using a US robotics cable router for Virgin media cable, its an excellent router, can be left on 24/7 with no probs. A lit bit more outlay, but definetly worth it.

ADSL routers are used when you receive your broadband down the phone line, via BT for example.

If it was me I would prob get one of these two:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...NG&groupid=46&catid=1014&subcat=&name=Netgear WNR2000 300Mbps Wireless-N Cable Modem/Router

or

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...LS&groupid=46&catid=1014&subcat=&name=Linksys WRT54GL 54Mbps Open Source Wireless Cable Router
    fryup says thanks.
  3. fryup New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, cheers for quick reply, thought i was being a bit simple. will look into them.cheers
  4. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    The Linksys is prob the best. And recommend on here. but I only picked the other one out cus it has N capabilities. If you arent bothered about em, and arent gonna use em, go for the Linksys. Its a damn good router

:toast: