1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cable Modem auto shut off and back on

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by mrthanhnguyen, Jul 26, 2014.

1. mrthanhnguyen

Thanks Received:
    I have internet service with Charter and they sent me a modem about 3 years ago. For 6 months, the modem keeps auto shut off and get back on like a few second after that. They sent a technician and he told me the cable to my room is torn up, so he switched the modem to the other room where cable is fine; however, the modem is still auto shut off and back on. I play game and have terrible ping spike. So is it the modem problem or the provider problem? Thanks.

2. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    If the modem is shutting off randomly then I'll get it replaced. Once you have a good modem you can troubleshoot your ping issues.

3. mrthanhnguyen

Thanks Received:
    I called charter or chat with them , and all that lousy agents keep telling my that my router causes the problem. They said " u have 8 devices connected to your router and it causes the slow speed and the modem auto shut off".

4. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so disconnect everything and just connect one pc directly to the modem and see if the modem shuts off. Also see if your ping is still spiking as like before.

Afew years ago when my modem started acting up, my ISP wanted to send out a tech to "troubleshoot" the problem. I knew that was just going to be a waste of time so I asked if i could come down to their location and just swap the unit out. The new one fixed the problems I was having.

In my opinion these modems are made very cheap and only last 3 years.

5. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:

If modem or router is overloaded/overheating it can reboot sometimes.

6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Check the cable line coming from the provider- it either runs up a wall from burial or comes from aerial mount. Also cable splitters in attic or on exterior of home go bad over time/rust. Id definitely say the modem is bad but you may wantvto have cable shorting caps on all of the open cable jacks.

7. mrthanhnguyen

Thanks Received:
    I switched a new modem and it still auto shut off and back on. Last month,one technician came to my house and told me the cable to my room is torn up, so he switched to another room,but the problem doesn't go away,so Im not sure its the cable really trouble here. I played BF4 and ping keeps jumping from 5x to 50x,so I switch to League of Legends and I don't see ping jump, but sometimes, I still see high ping when I first join LOL.

8. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    You still need to disconnect everything and just connect one pc directly to the modem and see if you are still having issues. Only then can you determine where the problem is; either on your local network or on the ISP side of the modem.

9. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Are you in VN? The internet connection has been pretty bad these past 2 weeks. How long have you been having the issues?

10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Could be a network wide outage. Or even your poweroutlet is bad or the home isnt grounded properly