• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cable Sleeving/Wire Guide for PCI-E 8-pin

Hey all,

I tried googling some but couldn't find anything specific to what I'm looking to do. I want to sleeve and make custom lengths out of the stock wires that came with my PSU (SeaSonic SS-660XP Platnium). When it comes to the PCI-E, I want to make the 6+2 cable a straight up 8 cable; however, I want to make sure this is even possible without having to go the 6+2 route.

The modular plugs on the PSU don't seem to be bespoke, standard molex connectors. However, the CPU EPS cable plugs into the same slots as the PCI-E and I know the EPS has 4 12v wires while the PCI-E has 3. So, would a wire going from that additional 12v into the PCI-E 8 pin just toast the card? I'm guessing yes, so is it even possible to make a true 8 cable 8pin PCI-E from the PSU without having to use an extension or the 6+2 setup?

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Hmm, don't have the 8-pin for my PSU. Doesn't really cover going 8 to 8 PCI-E. Hmm...

System Name Trashbox Pro
Processor Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD7-TH
Memory G.Skill 2400MHz 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming R9 280x 6GB (2x)
Storage Samsung Evo 840 1TB
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi
Power Supply Corsair AX 850
I have Corsair AX850, re-branded Seasonic. It is most likely almost identical to this (Seasonic P1000) on the PSU side:

The 8 pin and 12 pin connectors are almost always a row of GND and a row of 12v.

Use a multimeter to check your [PSU] 8 pin/12pin <==> 6+2 [VGA]:

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't have a multimeter, so I guess I'll just have to do a double wire and see if I can find a soldering iron at work to borrow.

System Name Trashbox Pro
Hmm, I don't have a multimeter, so I guess I'll just have to do a double wire and see if I can find a soldering iron at work to borrow.

Before you do any wiring, always ALWAYS make a note or a spreadsheet of the cable pinouts you have. Even if you find a helpful person like myself give you a pinout diagram, I could have made a mistake or posted something out of date. ALWAYS use a multimeter to make sure the diagram you find on the internet matches the power supply & cables you have. If you have access to a soldering iron at work, you must have access to a multimeter too. If not, just spend the $20 to get a multimeter at your local electronics store or newegg or whatever. Believe me, its worth it because you are also going to want to double check the wires you make to make sure they are identical to the PSU cables. The last thing you want to do is fry your graphics card or motherboard by short circuiting a connection.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
I literally just finished soldering together 2 molex to PCIe 6-pin adapters into one dual molex to dual PCIe 6-pin and I goofed the wiring. I went to test continuity with my dvm and got nothing. Turns out I wired one PCIe cables 12v (Pin1) to the other PCIe cables 12v (Pin3) then sent that to Pin1 on a molex cable. I repeated that mistake for every wire. The right pins still get 12v, ground, and sense- think it will still work?

/threadjack but hopefully reading this will remind you to double check your wiring before you get to soldering :laugh:

I was going to make my own diagram, of course, I was more interested in seeing if anybody had the PSU side layouts since I wanted to make an 8-pin PCI-E cable instead of a 6+2 without just making an extension; I'm already trying to have less cabling in my mid-tower. However, because the PSU side also uses the PCI-E for EPS, it seems one full row is +12v leads. So I just meant sucking it up and soldering the doubles wires that go to the +2 on the 6+2 PCI-E plug. I'll just make the split far enough down that I can hide the Y split.

System Name Trashbox Pro
I literally just finished soldering together 2 molex to PCIe 6-pin adapters into one dual molex to dual PCIe 6-pin and I goofed the wiring. I went to test continuity with my dvm and got nothing. Turns out I wired one PCIe cables 12v (Pin1) to the other PCIe cables 12v (Pin3) then sent that to Pin1 on a molex cable. I repeated that mistake for every wire. The right pins still get 12v, ground, and sense- think it will still work?

/threadjack but hopefully reading this will remind you to double check your wiring before you get to soldering :laugh:

Could you provide a wiring diagram? I think I know what you're doing, but I want to be sure before giving a definite answer. My initial impression is I'm a little concerned about how much current you're drawing over the 12v molex wire, but its borderline since I don't know what gauge wire you're using or what other devices might be drawing power on that 12v line.

Part of the assumption of theose dual molex to single PCIE 6 pin is that the total path resistance is really low between the VGA and PSU thanks to all those ground lines so you can get away with (2x) 12v lines powering (3x) 12v connectors.

Last edited: