1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cache question - AMD (I need some advice).

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by TechnicalFreak, Apr 15, 2011.

1. TechnicalFreak Guest

Ok, so at the end of this mont, or the 25:th, a new system will be built!
    However, I was looking just a couple of minutes ago on some of the AMD cpu's, and it just hit me.. Should I buy an X6 cpu with 6Mb of cache, or an X4 with 8Mb of cache.
    Now, I do not intend to use the new system for playing games, more like for Photoshop, 3D applications etc.

I'm sticking with AMD since I have a rather tight budget, and yes, I did look into some of the Intel cpu's.. But I would need more money then instead.

Thankful for any replies given.
  2. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    mmmmm I'm gonna say X6 :)
  3. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    if you can afford an X6 amd you can afford an i5 P67 system to be honest, and in that situation its worth the extra,

but if your really going to stick with AMD then X6 if you can afford it,

otherwise 2500k + P67 = $300 grab a $50 kit of 4gb of 1600mhz DDR3 and your on your way.
  4. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    x6 2 cores will be up 2 50% speed boost in multithreaded apps

2mb cache diffrence will be 1-2% in most apps, the same diffrence the x6 will make due to background apps being off loaded.

basicly, in games and pre 2006 programs ghz will make all the diffrence and cache will make small diffrence, for tasks involving photo and video editing using fairly mordern programs go for cores and ghz

cache is a 1% boost per mb in most programs
    cores give a large performance boost in video and photo editing software
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  5. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I have to correct you here.

The Phenom II X6 does not have 6MB of cache.

The Phenom II X6 has 6MB of shared L3, 512kB per core of L2. So it's just above 9MB of cache (when including L1 cache)

Cheesy999, the 2MB difference in the X6s favour! Due to extra cache per core.

But yes, cache plays a small difference. I agree with the majority, X6 is the way to go. Although I would wait for Bulldozer reviews still.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  6. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    i agree with you about the cache diffrence being incredibly small but its per core that matters and the x4 has 512l2 and 6mb l3 devided by 4 where the 6 core has 6mb devided by 6 which means 1.5mb per core verses 1 5/6 core in the 4 core
    Dent1 says thanks.
  7. Wyverex

Wyverex

Thanks Received:
    To expand what Dent1 said, Phenom II architecture has 512 kB L2 per core and 6 MB L3 total.
    X4 ends up with 4x0.5 + 6 = 8 MB cache
    X6 ends up with 6x0.5 + 6 = 9 MB cache

As for "per core cache", in most applications it's not that important actually. But, of course, in some examples it is vitally important.

Phenom II X6 are great overclockers (better than X4 parts) and extra cores help with multi-threaded applications and if you're sure you're taking a Phenom now, go with X6.

With everything here said, I probably wouldn't be buying any of those just yet.
    I'd wait for at least 2-3 months, for Bulldozers to arrive and then I'd make my decision.
    Then, if nothing else, prices of current CPU lineups would go down :)
  8. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Are you thinking of going Bulldozer? If so id go the cheaper route (you wont see a massive difference) and then in a few months you can get Bulldozer.

Just a thought :)
  9. TechnicalFreak Guest

Hey thanks everyone, didn't know that about the X6 (the Mb part, so thanks for that info Dent1!). Ok, so this is what I can afford with this month's budget:
    Motherboard: ASUS Nvidia nForce 630a (M4N68T-M LE V2): 46€
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz: 166€
    Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (two sticks = 8Gb): 83€
    I can't find any lower prices than this in Sweden, and the parts are all "Go buy yourself", no webshops at all.

I have put the prices in Euro, just because it's easier for some to convert it to US$ and so on (they are converted from SEK).

HDD? Not sure, guess I'll stick with this one until I have more cash. I got a deal on some SSD disk , "OCZ" - 40Gb for 700SEK (around 80€). But not sure right now, let's take that next month.

If all works out well, I might have a job for 14 days, making a logotype for a company. If they buy it, I will be payed 10.000SEK (about 1000€). Then I can afford more, but seriously.. I need a vacation from all computers.. this country and myself. Haven't had a vacation since -91.

@Melvis: Bulldozer? I'm lost there.. Is it a new cpu?? I haven't had time to read any articles. Could you point me in a direction of any articles of it? Thanks, and have a happy easter - all of you.

Also - I can't wait. I have a project coming up during summer, and this needs to be done. With my current system, it can't be done. Ofcourse I can use my friends system.. however, he is coming back at the end of May already..
  10. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    I would avoid that motherboard, it's years old. Get something like the 880G series. Your motherboard choice might affect whether the AMD bulldozer are compatible.

It's AMD's new architecture.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/03/08/amd-bulldozer-and-llano-details-purportedly/1
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  11. TechnicalFreak Guest

But then when I can afford the Bulldozer, I might be able to get another motherboard?
    This is then an option: MSI - Socket AM3 - mATX AMD 880G (880GM-E41), however it is 200SEK more expensive than the one I listed (I chose this one from available mobo's and price), and has the 16Gb RAM support. 200SEK - say about 15-20€ more, don't know if I can afford it. We can wait until I have the cash in hand, maybe I can push some buttons and get it second hand..

Also, does anyone know about the boxed cooler provided by AMD??
  12. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    i'm using it at the moment, don't expect to do any overclocking with the stock cooler but it works well enough to keep the cpu running
  13. TechnicalFreak Guest

Ok, seems I can get a discount at "Dustin.se", so I'll try and see what I can get for prices on memory, MoBo and CPU. Otherwise another company located in city has a 19€ for 2Gb (1 stick of memory). If I can get the MoBo and CPU cheap, then I'll buy 12Gb of ram, which should be enough. Photoshop may not directly require much memory, but when working with Illustrator - I always run out of memory..