1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call Of Duty 4 Issues

Discussion in 'Games' started by Scarecrow, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Scarecrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone help me out, i just bought a new computer with the following specs:

2 x 8800 Ultra's in SLi
    ASUS Striiker EXtreme
    Q6600 CPU
    2GB OCZ Reaper RAM
    1000W PSU
    Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Now every time im in game, after about 1-2 mins i get a message about a DX Error, and then a BSOD. I had the latest video drivers, and that didnt work, so i tried the 2nd newest drivers, and still have the same problem. I have no idea what is going on, as Call Of Duty 4 ran perfectly on my old system:

ASUS A8N SLi Premium
    7800 GTX
    Athlon Dual Core 4400+
    1GB DDR RAM

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as im not happy that CoD4 now doesnt work on my new system, and that i also have to turn Crysis down to shit house resolutions with only all High settings to get a playable frame rate...
  2. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    its a common problem with onboard sound and just an unknown issue.. i have a audigy 2zs and disabled onboard sound and i have that same problem
  3. Scarecrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    so its the sound card and not graphics related?
  4. Scarecrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    because Vista tell me the problem is one with NVidia and that i should sort their help to fix it...
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Try disabiling SLI for now. One 8800Ultra is pretty much powerful enough for anything anyway.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my system is fairly similar to yours except for sound and SLI, so try running one card and see what happens.

oh and crysis just runs like crap for everyone, grab the latest beta drivers for a shot at better performance.
  7. Scarecrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    disabling SLi didnt work.

Im contemplating swapping the SupremeFX Audio II that comes with the mobo for my Audigy 2ZS from my previous system to see if that changes things...
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thats a good idea.

Things not mentioned: undo any overclocking, and be certain the system is stable. Could be incorrectly set ram or something, if its a new rig and cod4 is just pushing it over the edge.

Update drivers: dont use the ones that came with the hardware, get the latest off the net.
  9. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Well for Crysis you need more than 2GB of ram because Crysis uses more that 2GB in XP, can you post the error, and i would take test 1 Ultra at a time, i know it sounds bad but my Ultra did the same thing when it died, it would work for while then BSOD, or say my drivers have stoped working, than test the ram because i whent though 4 stick of the reaper memory all had errors, in the end i gave up and went with the memory i have now.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  10. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    I had a very similar issue with 2 x 7800gt in SLI under windows XP.

After playing with COD4 settings and Nvidia driver settings the fix for me was putting all drivers setting to max performance - ie no aa, no af etc etc.

I then changed one setting at a time until the error happened again and im 90% sure it was the Texture Filtering Quality option that caused it.

I now have mine set to high performance and all is well
  11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yes, check if your memory is correctly set to the factory specifications. These days, it's common to buy some memory and have it running on less voltage than it should be due to bad auto-detection.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Scarecrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think im just gonna give Vista the flick and go back to XP... its a freaking joke...

im really annoyed that i have spent my money on what might as well be a pile of junk coz it wont work properly.

And the system is brand new, as in 1 day old.

I dont know how to check to see if the memory is supposed to be running at what its required either.... Frankly i shouldnt have too, particularly considering i payed for someone else to set it all up.... why is it that you can never buy a computer and just have it work without all of the bulls*#t.
  13. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    It works fine in Vista, so you can step down off the bandwagon.

SLI is problematic in COD4, often given many black or returning missing textures.
    Not the problem you are facing, but another you my run into.

Have you made sure to select whether you're using single or dual graphics cards from COD4's options menu?

Also, you may have to run it in DX9 compatibility mode while in Vista.

Did you end up trying a dedicated sound card?
  14. Scarecrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a new update... the same thing now happens in Crysis....

And yes i had selected Dual Video Cards in the game settings.

How do i run in DX9 compatibility mode?
  15. Scarecrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    would it be worth just doing a complete re-format?
  16. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    did you install DX, y ou said drivers but nnever said anything about DX(i forgot to install it on my system a while ago:))
  17. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Download and install the latest DX, sounds like one of the files DX uses is borked.
  18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    directX should be on the cod4 CD anyway, i know its on mine.
  19. Scarecrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was able to solve this problem by doing a complete format and re-installing Vista. Before i did anything i ran the auto-update thing and got everything i could, plus the 4 hotfixes for NVidia cards.

After that, i then installed the latest NVidia beta drivers for the 8800 Ultra, and i have had no issues yet.

Im now in the process of reinstalling Crysis, and ill see whether it installing DX10 buggers up my DX9 games (Call Of Duty 4).

I hope it doesnt, but only time will tell.
  20. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    In regards to Crysis running only on HIGH setings: I was at nVidia GeForce LAN 4 this November 16th. There were Crysis devs. there, and obviously nVidia executives also. The nVidia executive taking questions said there was no one at nVidia that can run Crysis on max. It may have been developed on 8800's, but acording to nVidia, even a 8800 Ultra SLI rig isn't going to give you Crysis maxxed. I have not played the full game yet, but my 2600XT defaults to medium settings. It looks pretty damn good at medium, imo. High settings should make a gamer happy.

In regards to CoD4. Have you tried it with out SLI? My 2600XT is playing it great, with 2x AA, and shadows. Granted my res. is only 1280x1024, but it looks and plays smooth.

Oh, my bad. I see you fixed it up with the format. Sry.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  21. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    i;m running a single gtx, and a single gts in another computer and both systems have the problem... its stable and cool too.. cod4 runs fine on my laptop with a core 2, but it seams like its only something pertaining to the amd chips.. wasn't there a bug like this in cod2?
  22. Scarecrow New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i spoke too soon
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if a format didnt fix it, its a hardware issue. take one of the video cards out, and do full stress testing - 8 hours of memtest and 12 hours of prime95/OCCT/orthos will let you know if somethings wrong there.

memtest does the ram, the other three are CPU - taking a video card out lowers the power load, in case its your PSU at fault.
  24. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    I am having the same issue, but my system is stable.. I've even tried on stock settings.. :(
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    nothing you have is the same except for an 8 series video card. have you BOTH tried updating the video driverrs to the latest beta?