1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call of Duty 5 to be set in WWII?

Discussion in 'Games' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, May 12, 2008.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    According to this article, yes.

Source

However, according to a more recent article, that is not the case at all now. Now they are saying CoD5 will be set in a "new military theatre." Wonder what the hell that means?

Source

2. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    Cool, although the devs are going to ruin this game like they did to CoD3.

3. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Gayarch will never make a good CoD game...

Infinity Ward FTW!"

4. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    I have heard this is gonna be based on the pacific theater.

5. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I never got to play CoD3 because it never got released to PC.

6. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    It better not be another WWII game I'm sick of WWII. I do want to see Futuristic Warfare, would be pretty interesting.

7. rampage

Thanks Received:
    as long as it isnt another battlefield 2142

8. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    you didn't miss much. it totaly suck. the graphics where 10 times better on cod2!!! :shadedshu

9. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I know, my friend got it on 360, said it was amazing, then I showed him CoD2 on PC, he traded CoD3 in the next day :p

10. amd64skater

amd64skater

Thanks Received:
    they need to make a sequel to modern warfare now that is my favorite cod game to date well for the 360

11. Edito

Edito

Thanks Received:
    Im tired of WW2 games no metter what i think this CoD will not impress me at all... like Airborne did (NOHING)

12. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Ahh yes, the boring guns. Here I will make a futureistic war game. It is called press the button to kill everything.

Notice the alpha shading effect that take DX10.1 and tesselation to render the roundness and then AA to remove the rough edges!!!!

U Can has run the game wiht a 8 core 16GB Quadfire HD5890 system on max settings!!!!! Woo, online button pressing for more realistic trash talking.

Only $99.99

Attached Files:

lemonadesoda says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  13. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i like WW2 shooters, i buy the Medal of Honor games just for this. I always prefer Medal of Honor over COD though. Modern Warfare was good but it wasnt really call of duty. Wish they'd make a game i really want, an FPS set in the American Revolution. Muskets, hand guns, swords, bayoneets, and knifes. That would rock.

14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    cod4 just got it right. the engine was perfect, the ability to shoot through objects is just done so well.

More or less, its an example of a polished game - all the features work properly. (unlike vegas 1, where a wooden door takes 6 bullets without harming the guy on the other side, yet a neon sign is penetrated on the first round)

15. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, WWII would still have some life in it if someone made a decent title out of it. I'm sick and tired of all the linear, scripted games since that's pretty much all you get. MoH: Airborne tried to differ and it succeeded pretty well.

An Operation Flashpoint (gosh I miss that game) taking place in WWII would be teh ownage. :cool:

16. Edito

Edito

Thanks Received:
    Who told that the real cod is WWII??? i think they are in constant evolution and in search of new ways to make good games and Moder Warfare was good and a real COD IMO and MOHA was good but they bring nothing new IMO and the game become bored???

Don´t get me wrong its my opinion...

17. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i think 2-3 games in the same era was enough from each company. realistically, it just turns into expansions - its the same old thing over and over with only the levels changing.

Cod4 was great - brilliant engine and execution, with all new high tech goodness.we want night vision, we want laser dots on our guns. we want guided AT rockets, we want helicopter support. these are thigns we all know make big booms and pretty explosions, and thats what shooters are all about!

18. Vanbolten

Vanbolten New Member

Thanks Received:
    it will be good to see a WWII game on a decent game engine, unlike so may others wich were good for there time but are now past it

Looking forward to it coming out :)

:D

19. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't it? But there wouldn't be enough "I WIN" buttons or maneuvers. Dare they make a game that appealed to smaller audience. Dare they risk doing something out of the norm and possibly creating a cult following so to speak.

Not sure what mode you played on, but COD4 was an absolute physics flop. Realistically speaking, a claymore could take out half a building if placed in the right spot, yet as always claymores could be 'turned' ever so slightly the wrong way and have virtually no effect. Or better yet, someone could step right on one and keep going. Light machine guns will rip down walls in the real world, yet some walls in the game were so brutally resilient to heavy arms. The weapons are way off. I still claim to this day that only one development team every got weapons right, and that was Restorm. I understand some of them were members of the Heckler & Koch enthusiast / owner's association;
    hardly a coincidence. It's like nerdy programmers writing sports games. They just don't get it. You gotta play to know. It's as simple as that. Hiring some esteemed coach or what not, won't make a difference.

COD4 had all the typical bugs and nuisances of online FPS predecessors. It catered to all of the wrong things and turned out to be a frag fest with just a whiff and a sniff of realism. The only thing I could admit it had going for it was a somewhat solid/stable network code; yet even then they let punkbuster run wild.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  20. Duxx Guest

If they can pull it off as well as they did COD4, then I dont really care where or when its located, just make it a good damn game and people will play it :)

21. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I still like to play BF1942, and Halo on a LAN. Fun and balanced play, easy to learn, and fast paced.

Big bangs are boring, sniping someone from a mile away while compensating for heat shimmer and breathing is fun. Knifing someone after sneaking up on them is fun. Throwing a grenade down since you are dieing anyway is fun. A flashbang and a pistol is fun.

A rocket than any moron can shoot and base sit is not. Night vision and moving quiet in the dark with a silenced pistol is fun. Calling in a artiliary strike every few minutes in a random effort to kill anything is not fun.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  22. lyricalgamer New Member

Thanks Received:
    the first time i played COD,it was a demo,since then ive always been an avid fan of all the COD games,and COD 4 was the best of them all,we cant expect the developers to get all the physics correct,this is just the beginning,once directx10 goes full throttle we'll see the "real" next gen features showing their beautiful melons.lol.

23. Dangle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fuck treyarch. They ruined CoD! I'm going to skip this one. I don't care if Infinity takes CoD back to WW2... I'm just not going to play another treyarch game.

24. rampage

Thanks Received:
    sorry to hijack the thread for a seccond, but

as for the physics being a flop i tend to agree but not for the same reasons... im not sure what experience you have had with firearms but i have several firearms (.223/ 7.62/ 8mm mauser) i know the penitration of these weapons when it comes to steel plate/ brick/ sand bags/ (and fox's and rabbits)

where you say light machine guns would in real life rip through wall in real life yeah this is true when it comes to light walls but even with full auto even brick is a fairly solid material and can take a fair punnishing expecialy from a .223 ( 3 > 4 round to go through double brick wall) but a 7.62 would go through a lot easier tho

concrete on the other hand i would asume take alot more punnisment from both calibers, then there is the extra element of AP (armour piercing) rounds and even then im not sure is a concrete wall would let a 7.62mm AP round through

so what i guess im trying to say is if anything the weapon physics in cod 4 were almost over done and under done when it comes to explosives a few pound of C4 should at least knock down a wall like you have said.

as for the next cod 4 being another WW2 i hope not, i like the feel of the game progressing and moving forward..... the whole cival war thing wasnt there a mod for the origional half life for that..lol

25. wabbitslayer

Thanks Received:

great idea :toast: