1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call Of Duty : Black Ops (official thread)

Discussion in 'Games' started by phenomenon1991, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ok, been playing for a while now, and this is not a game. It's an interactive movie. :(

Also, this is a big name game, with a big budget and big sales. SO WHY IS IT SO HARD TO MAKE THE RUSSIANS SPEAK RUSSIAN?? :X

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    agreed - i don't even play the singleplayer campaigns unless i'm fiending for the game and the servers or my net are down. MP is the point.

3. f22a4bandit

f22a4bandit

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps the character understands Russian since he's a Black Operative. Ever think of it like that?

4. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but it makes no sense anyway since there's parts when everyone talks russian anyway, and there's a part where everyone are russians. Ten years ago it wouldn't be so terrible, but a game like this? Fail imo.

5. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    the sinplayer game is good. even on normal difficulty some missions are quite hard. it is a game just flashes of memory that you play. there are cutscenes but imo its no diff then any other sp fps i have played as of late. but the gameplay is good imo.

6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    You can use a wheel and a control pad on a PC as well. Guess what, I'm better than all my console racing buddies using the same input methods as well. They just aren't as good at it because console games are generally coded to be easier, so their skill level plateaus once they become good at it.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i loved the SP, interactive movie or not, you still had a bit of freedom when approaching targets - yes the destination was a narrow corridor for a brief moment between checkpoints, but at least you could move around and choose your own cover and angle of approach.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. va4leo

va4leo New Member

Thanks Received:
    How did the BLACK OPS thread become PC vs console?

9. Sadasius

Sadasius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Think I got a blister from one mission in SP. There were so damn many targets! :twitch:

10. MadClown

MadClown

Thanks Received:
    G11, good stuff

11. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm ok, im sure he has tried it with SLI disabaled and it was the same, but im not to sure on that. I will get him to double check later today.

12. roast

roast

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty disappointed with BO. I thought that after working with an engine that is so mature, the AI would have improved some. The battles are not as in-depth, and relying on the bots is just a no-go. There is no support from them, in what it supposed to be a realistic game. Intense difficulty is definitely not forgiving, which is a good thing, but frustrating when you expect the bots to do something useful. the firefights are not as in-depth, the story is crap, and the multiplayer is..... typical.

13. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Why do we think this is a positive? We might as well say it's good because it has sounds. "Move around" is one of the things that makes a game a game.

14. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    I just played the game at a friends place. Played 3 missions and it was pretty fun I guess. Some stuff were a bit strange though, like I had said in a thread some time ago, its pretty unsettling seeing acog sights in 1961... Didn't m16's in the nam era have 20 bullets? I'm no expert, but I assume Treyarch should hire at least an arms expert when dealing with such stuff. And yeah, frick is right about that language thing, it sounds kinda cheesy hearing russians speaking with a fake english accent.

mikeh says thanks.
  15. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    There's a Russian version of the game. In which the characters speak Russian. Thus, the English-speaking Russians in the English version of the game are intentional. Probably to make it easier for the player to follow the game. It's not that they cheaped out on the voice actors.

mikeh, danik, drdaver and 2 others say thanks.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i think its neutral. i'm saying its positive in that i've played a lot worse lately, this is how a corridor shooter SHOULD be - linear path, but freedom of movement from A to B.

thats not to say i prefer this type of game, i love fallout 3 and new vegas much more - but in this genre, this is how to do it.

yup yup. english with a russian accent works for me.

I know a lot of people who hate anime because of the subtitles - they cant handle reading something and doing something at the same time... those same people would absolutely hate a game that wanted them to READ.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Frick

Thanks Received:
    What's wrong with subtitles? :(

18. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Yeah especially when you bear in mind that they hired a lot of actors for the voice overs.

Ok I just played the Khe Sanh mission. Was a nice touch hearing CCR in the background! Hehe! Anyways, I'm a bit dissapointed with the way that mission played out, it doesn't stick to the real story of the siege at all! The part where they were tanks should have happened at Lang Vei, I could go on all day! Anyways, I guess they made it so for the sake of the fun, its a game after all. The Arc lite depicted in game was funny, the b52's were going in the wrong direction of the bombing! Its an insult to players intelligence really. I'm starting to think that Treyarch just sat down and said, ok, we want Bay of pigs, Arc Lite, Khe Sanh, Tet. Make some missions around that and we are done. It is fun but somehow I feel a bit dissapointed up till now. I haven't played the game entirely to have a full judgement yet, but there are some major flaws in the SP, story-wise.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  19. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I'm not a huge fan of subtitles, and I don't own this game so not sure how much Russian talking there is. But I can handle subs if its a small part like if you were an American and infiltrating and were over hearing a Russian conversation, that adds to the feel of the game. But if you played the whole time as a Russian and couldn't understand it, I might not like it as much, then again, I loved the movie Fearless, so if it was good action/story, I could probably get into it.

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    there is a breakout from a russian prison as one level, and one level as russians.

at least i know when they're saying "grenade" or "guy by the support pillar!"

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    That probably wouldn't be too bad then. I use to enjoy hearing the Nazi's in Medal of Honor, especially the 2nd game when you would throw a grenade and the patrol with dogs, the dog would pick up the grenade and bring it back to it's master, then you could hear the guy scream in german, and the booklet had a small table that showed what they were actually saying. Was very enjoyable.

22. sapetto

sapetto

Thanks Received:
  23. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    Im still getting stutters with shadows on? this much be a bug because my system shouldnt have any problem running this game.

24. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    i can do a tone perfect Venezuelan accent, make the real Venezuelan look like a noob :D...

25. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Reinstall drivers ?

I've got a similar system albeit a GTX470 and it runs fine.