1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call of Duty MMO

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Jan 9, 2010.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    All I have to say to you MW2 lovers is.... Na, Na, Na, Na, Boo, Boo! :laugh:

Source

2. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    what? how exactly is this gonna work?
    isn't MW2 essentially an MMO already?

3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    No, it's no more MMO than a game like Diablo 2. MMO would be large scale servers, not just single maps. So think of maybe a 5x5 mile map for each zone with warfare going on and a world map much larger with possible a few thousand people on that same server. Would most likely be a PvP MMO.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  4. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    but how would you transition into other areas?
    surely you'd get killed on the way?

5. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure there would be a chance of getting killed anywhere, as it is the opposing sides goal to kill you. Vehicles (Jeeps, Tanks, Planes, Helicopters, Trains) would most likely be the faster ways of travel. I'm not too sure how well a war MMO would work as there would only be so much the Environment could be involved with.

6. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    yeah man
    sounds like a terrible idea to me

7. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Havnt you ever played 64 player servers in cod4? Even with 64 players on a big map, no one really gets killed on the way, and if they do o well. Ussualy in a cod4 server with 64 players, its basicly a wall of bulets, nades, flashes, or rushes all in 1 area, so you can make it to the fight without diying, then stick your head out for 4 seconds and get droped, if your not so smart at cover.

I want to see 1000 players on a WELL DESIGNED map, so the gameplay will be awsome.

8. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    This activision vision is getting out of hand! ;)

9. lemode

Thanks Received:
    I am a MMO junkie…and even though 9/10 MMOs are god awful…I do not see how I could possibly enjoy a call of duty MMO unless they added vehicles and absurdly large terrain/urban environments/worth while content after you hit cap. Sure I do really get into COD games in the process of hitting cap…but after it really only takes a month or 2 before I get sick of the game. There’s just not enough variety in the series.

I know the combat system will be good

If there are vehicles and MUCH MUCH larger maps to sustain full fledged warfare…I might just HAVE to buy the game.

IW sucks in the content department…they can’t expect to draw in the MMO crowd unless they add content quite frequently. But I doubt that will happen thus = EPIC FAIL.

I am only excited about SW:TOR…but I would keep my eye out for a Call of Duty MMO.

10. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Sounds brilliant to me.

Humans VS AI or humans versus humans.

Humans versus AI would be much like single player COD ONLY your team mates would be human.

Think Left 4 Dead but where the zombies have a shit ton of guns, so you need a bigger group of people to kill these zombies :p

11. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    hmm... i just can't think of an MMO without thinking RPG or RTS
    Won't it be an MMOFPS if it'd made?

12. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure that there will be a large 'world' for one to travel through in this MMO. It wouldn't be an MMO otherwise...

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I think creating highly trained soldiers with the ability to adapt would be a little harder to do as a programmer than to create a horde of zombies who sole purpose is to kick you into a pulp.

14. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    This is BS, how it is even possible to realise it? o_O

15. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huge maps and powerful servers.

Possibly a pay-per-use fee.

16. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    If they do it right, from a technical standpoint, it would be a massive leap in the MMO industry.

The problem is the content and theme isn't going to very forgiving, especially if it follows a-typical level and skill progression methods of current MMOs(I don't know if it does, just assuming, hence "MMO").

Consider that a bullet is a bullet, it only takes one... an MMO usually involves opponents that take multiple hits or attacks before dying, and if such is the case, that really doesn't wash as even remotely realistic, when bullets meet a skull.

Games like Fallen Earth get away with it, because it's 90+% PVE.

However I have a feeling (as hinted by other posters), that this is less MMORPG, and basically just an upgrade to existing lare scale combat games where we often see 64 vs 64 as a limit, this might take it up to xxx vs xxx or etc.

This has already been done with MMORPGs, games like Darkfall having thousands of people on the same battlefield simultaneously, but that isn't using some game engine that has to consider ranged weaponry and bullet trajectories etc.

Personally I'd rather someone take this idea and use it on something more flexible in content, like Terminator. It would be pretty bad-ass to have a PVE(with limited PVP) and PVMP (PVE with NPC involvement) game, where the Terminators actively hunt you, and you have to move from bunker to bunker, foxhole to foxhole and etc. scouring the wastes of LA trying not to be taken out. But, it would probably be a slow paced game for most of the time, where you lie in hiding and cover. When action hits, it's quick and over even quicker.

That wouldn't sit well with most people, they'd be impatient, but for sniper type personas or people that appreciate the art of 'hunter vs. hunted,' it would be awesome.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  17. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    newconroer, it's not a new concept, Global Agenda will be out I think this year and is a MMOFPS, so it's being done, but they aren't stuck in a side vs side debate though.

18. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude a nicely executed MMOFPS would be nice to have. I would rather it not be like WoW with a $15/month fee though.

19. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    well thats exactly what i t would be how else would activision milk you for money ??

imagine xbox live + subscription oh how the console crowd would cry foul :roll:

20. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    How the hell can they make a Call Of Duty MMO??

Plus, I bet Modern Warfare 3 has already been made (more or less) because MW2 had a whiff off 'this game has been cut in half to make 2 games' to it ;)

21. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the only way I can see this MMO working is having non group troop movements be nearly impossible and battles would need to be coordinated as such - territorial fights could be fun. I could see a class which is a scout class that is resposible for close recon and they are the only ones who can really venture out of the stongholds alone or in two man teams.

The one glaring issue is the absolutely massive player base one would need to have this game work without being completely instanced. Something tells me this is no more than a rumor and that if IW is working on an MMO its not a COD MMO

22. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    if done right this wouldbe revolutionairy. giant world battlefields, fast travel with planes, cars, trains, et as stated previously. there couldn't be any real level progression as per an rpg, but i think that as you play and gain more kills/experience you would unlock different/better armaments, equipment, and load outs.

frankly i think this would be awesome

giant PVE would make it even better. keep giant PVP options open of course.

23. Exile_Chavez

Exile_Chavez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the only thing we would have to worry about would be if it ended up like WoW, and have a max level till the next one came out. So they would need a sorta prestige mode sotra thing.