• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Reveal Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
That is a worrying fact. Only time will tell what Sledgehammer did with the franchise *crosses fingers* :eek:

FYI Sledgehammers lead is an accountant.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
That video has created over 2 million views in less then 24 hours. I don't recall BF3 trailers getting 1/10th of that in that time frame. Let alone get that many "likes" in that other promotion (again in that time frame). Hate MW3 if you want but it is what it is, the giant gorilla in the room. You gotta respect it for what it is even if it's not your preference.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
That is a worrying fact. Only time will tell what Sledgehammer did with the franchise *crosses fingers* :eek:

MW3 is being developed by about 1/3 the original IW staff, Sledgehammer Games (Single-Player assistance) and Raven Software (Multi-Player). What could possibly go wrong with having 3 different studios all working on the same game? :shadedshu

That video has created over 2 million views in less then 24 hours. I don't recall BF3 trailers getting 1/10th of that in that time frame. Let alone get that many "likes" in that other promotion (again in that time frame). Hate MW3 if you want but it is what it is, the giant gorilla in the room. You gotta respect it for what it is even if it's not your preference.

Of course it got more attention. Call of Duty has better brand recognition. All the 12 year olds and frat boys wanted to check out the Michael Baysplosion Trailer. In all seriousness though, all BF3 has to do is sell well, and be a good game. I don't think anyone honestly expects BF3 to just dethrone CoD\MW in 1 strike...

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Of course it got more attention. Call of Duty has better brand recognition. All the 12 year olds and frat boys wanted to check out the Michael Baysplosion Trailer. In all seriousness though, all BF3 has to do is sell well, and be a good game. I don't think anyone honestly expects BF3 to just dethrone CoD\MW in 1 strike...

And how exactly did CoD get it's attention? CoD didn't become the mega triple AAA blockbuster until COD4. The others before it were never as popular until CoD4. As for BF series, yes there were 1942 but if you look at the stats BF2 still has at times around 9K player based to this very day vs 1942. As you can see games before COD4 and BF2 are just not as popular. So again, where is this attention coming from? It's certainly more recent then you imply.

BF2 was released on June 21, 2005
COD4 was released during the week of Nov 5th 2007.

Nearly a 2 year gap. I don't think it's the attention that's the issue as BF series has much more consumer exposure in that regard. What I think is going on is that people on mass are getting tried of hit registration and other polish and fit issues. When they point and shot in COD they hit. With BF series, not so much. Regardless of the bugs presented once the game is at a playable state for them they are usually sold IMO.

Last edited:

WarhammerTX

System Name Alienware Aurora
Processor i970 @3.8
Motherboard Alienware x58
Cooling Alienware liquid
Memory 12 gigs Corsair XMS tri-channel
Video Card(s) Visiontek 7950 3 gig
Storage Barrucuda 500 gig sata II x 2
Display(s) Dell U2312HM
Case Aurora
Audio Device(s) Realtec 7.1
Power Supply 875 watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Typical single player polished footage I want to see the Multi player footage I dont care about the single player will never play it. As to be expected we probably will not see any footage till about September. And it will not look anything like the single player which is always to bad

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
The biggest bombshell is yet to come if they announce 64 player support. Or at least 32 player support on console. Lets see how things unfold.

Edit:
Video Comparison between the 2. Nothing more can be taken from this then the video themselves at this time.

Last edited:
System Name Titan
Processor AMD FX-8350 4.6ghz
Motherboard AsRock 990FX Fatal1ty Professional
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX Double D 7970 3gb
Storage Western Digital Green 2TB 64mb Cache/ Western Digital 500gb
Display(s) iMac Display 2560 x 1440
Case NZXT Switch 810 White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Best way to describe people who play COD and BF is...

COD: "hmm how can I be gay as sh*t today and make others rage?"

BF: "Hopefully the cod kids aren't online so we can have some good games."

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
Cooling Noctua nh-u12p se2
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) POWERCOLOR HD 7970 3GB
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD / 2*320GB WDC RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 21" 1650*1080
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Professional PCI
Power Supply OCZ PC Power & Cooling 860W
Software Windows 7 x64
In all seriousness though, all BF3 has to do is sell well, and be a good game. I don't think anyone honestly expects BF3 to just dethrone CoD\MW in 1 strike...

On the PC, BF3 will blow MW3 out of the water (in terms of sales). As for the consoles the CoD series has a very strong following and for good reason. CoD is about the only console shooter that runs at 60FPS. All the others run at :love:0 FPS with screen tearing to boot. So even though CoD offers the most unoriginal FPShooter gameplay imaginable, it also offers the most smooth arcade experience. If I had to play on a console and I had the pressing need for a shooter, then it would have to be CoD (and I dont even like any of the games...CoD4 was pretty good...but by no means amazing).

Of course, there is far more behind the franchises success than smooth framerates, but I would suggest that the devs aimed for smooth framerates at the expense of resolution for a good reason (they even said so themselves).

Edit: If BF3 doesn't turn out to be the biggest selling PC shooter of all time, then I will eat my graphics card.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
And how exactly did CoD get it's attention? CoD didn't become the mega triple AAA blockbuster until COD4. The others before it were never as popular until CoD4. As for BF series, yes there were 1942 but if you look at the stats BF2 still has at times around 9K player based to this very day vs 1942. As you can see games before COD4 and BF2 are just not as popular. So again, where is this attention coming from? It's certainly more recent then you imply.

Nearly a 2 year gap. I don't think it's the attention that's the issue as BF series has much more consumer exposure in that regard. What I think is going on is that people on mass are getting tried of hit registration and other polish and fit issues. When they point and shot in COD they hit. With BF series, not so much. Regardless of the bugs presented once the game is at a playable state for them they are usually sold IMO.

CoD4 was not the first popular CoD game. That defintely was the work of CoD2. Now to add onto that, the first 2 big CoD titles were critically and PC-user acclaimed for being fantastic for their time. CoD4 was the first massive commercial success, and that was because the original IW Staff fought tooth and nail to have creative control over it, realizing people were getting sick of WWII shooters, and wanted something different. You could even go so far as to say without BF2, CoD4 probably wouldn't have been the game it was.

I also refuse to believe that the popularity\sales of a game instantly translates into the quality of the game. I played MW2 for a bit on PS3, and it was only entertaining for about a month or so. Compare that to BFBC2 on the PC, and I still pick that game up and play it now and then. I played Black Ops at a friends house and hated it because it was basically MW2, just reskinned with crappier mechanics.

Don't even get me started on "Hit Registration" in recent CoD Titles, because that is basically a paradox. The reason it's so much easier in MW2 to land shots is because the guns have no recoil, and the guns do not react to external actions. Take Counter-Strike for example, if you run and shoot, good luck lol. In MW2, if you do the same thing, you're basically the worlds greatest marksman. CoD4 wasn't nearly as bad (I played it both on PC and PS3) but really started the trend. The entire game is basically a close-range on rails shooter, where you just run and gun as fast as possible. In BC2, the guns act like actual guns, not the Rail Guns that exist in the CoD-verse, so you are required to apply significantly more skill and intellect to your play.

I have paid pretty close attention to the last several CoD launches, and to say they are a better experience out of the box is also nothing short of laughable. Remember the massive problems with MW2? Some of which are still present in the game, 2 years later? And those same EXACT issues were present at the Black Ops launch. Let's not forget the several glitches that have gone unaddressed for months at a time. On the PS3, the Javelin Glitch was around for about 6 months after it was exposed. I consider stuff like that unnacceptable. When I first popped in my copy of MW2, I had to patch for 10 minutes, got in game, the servers crashed, waited half an hour, patched AGAIN for 10 minutes, and by the time even got into a match with some friends, it was unbearably laggy for everyone.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had great experiences with recent CoD games, but when I compare them to games like UT2K4, Counter-Strike, Quake 3, and now games like TF2, the experience just isn't there.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
CoD4 was not the first popular CoD game. That defintely was the work of CoD2. Now to add onto that, the first 2 big CoD titles were critically and PC-user acclaimed for being fantastic for their time. CoD4 was the first massive commercial success, and that was because the original IW Staff fought tooth and nail to have creative control over it, realizing people were getting sick of WWII shooters, and wanted something different. You could even go so far as to say without BF2, CoD4 probably wouldn't have been the game it was.
No need to contradict yourself by arguing what I said earlier to imply the same thing. COD4 to this very day is still a popular game. I'm specifically implying how well the game is received today which is why I provided you the link to the stats. Your just mince words for the sake for arguing here. Also, I didn't make mention that COD4 was the 1st popular game. I did say it was the most popular one (among it's other COD titles). If you don't think so, by all means provide a link staying otherwise (a COD title). But from what I recall COD2 didn't sell 10 million units in the same time frame.

I also refuse to believe that the popularity\sales of a game instantly translates into the quality of the game. I played MW2 for a bit on PS3, and it was only entertaining for about a month or so. Compare that to BFBC2 on the PC, and I still pick that game up and play it now and then. I played Black Ops at a friends house and hated it because it was basically MW2, just reskinned with crappier mechanics.
This portion of your post has nothing to do with the content in which I posted. If you haven't noticed already I will spell it out for you. Higher quality of a game does not always equal higher sales/popularity. What my post contends is that it is my opinion that the main reason for MW3 popularity is because people have a easier time in playing it. I've proved an example to show that:
1. They hit what they point at
2. Polish and fit is inline to what they want.
Nothing more should be implied by that.

A lot of what you provide in your reply is simply not relating to what I posted (albeit long winded). I can't even say we agree to disagree when you are talking about something completely different to what I posted to you about. But to bring this back on course the facts remain the same. The popularity of MW3 is much higher then BF3 and there is a straight forward reason for it. I think it has something to do with how well some can play it. :D Just saying, or imply, it sucks is simply not enough to dismiss (currently) the number of views the 2 received when announced. What the actual game will be will be a different topic of discussion.

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

This has already been covered: Marketing it to the lowest common denominator, and huge advertisement campaigns.

But overall, better selling =/= better product, so until the CoD franchise actually makes another unique and great game like the first MW, it's all just gonna be the same rehashed garbage that cost $60, plus another $40 in stupid DLCs.

Last edited:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
This has already been covered: Marketing it to the lowest common denominator, and huge advertisement campaigns.

But overall, better selling =/= better product.

It's never that cut and dry. Which brings us back to the MW3 vs BF3 viewer usage in the Utube video (which is how this conversation came about). BF3 had a fairly earlier advertising campaign which didn't result in the number of viewers vs MW3 which came out only a few hours ago. So one can, and will, say that better/more advertisement campaigns =/= better popularity. At this point, this discussion isn't about what the product is. This is because no know knows what the 2 games will offer in any details yet. But if it's true that MW3 will have premium online features this time around (have no idea of what that is yet) then that's another topic of discussion.

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
It's never that cut and dry. Which brings us back to the MW3 vs BF3 viewer usage in the Utube video (which is how this conversation came about). BF3 had a fairly earlier advertising campaign which didn't result in the number of viewers vs MW3 which came out only a few hours ago. So one can, and will, say that better/more advertisement campaigns =/= better popularity. At this point, this discussion isn't about what the product is. This is because no know knows what the 2 games will offer in any details yet. But if it's true that MW3 will have premium online features this time around (have no idea of what that is yet) then that's another topic of discussion.

BF3 may have started advertising sooner, but not with the same budget and media exposure as the Call of Duty franchise. Advertising isn't just about getting ads out there before the other guy.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
What people seemed to not understand is that CoD will always win in sales, however just because something sells well(being popular) doesn't mean its good. Look at Justin Beiber he is retardly popular, but doesn't mean hes good.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

Don't even get me started on "Hit Registration" in recent CoD Titles, because that is basically a paradox. The reason it's so much easier in MW2 to land shots is because the guns have no recoil, and the guns do not react to external actions. Take Counter-Strike for example, if you run and shoot, good luck lol. In MW2, if you do the same thing, you're basically the worlds greatest marksman. CoD4 wasn't nearly as bad (I played it both on PC and PS3) but really started the trend. The entire game is basically a close-range on rails shooter, where you just run and gun as fast as possible. In BC2, the guns act like actual guns, not the Rail Guns that exist in the CoD-verse, so you are required to apply significantly more skill and intellect to your play.

I have paid pretty close attention to the last several CoD launches, and to say they are a better experience out of the box is also nothing short of laughable. Remember the massive problems with MW2? Some of which are still present in the game, 2 years later? And those same EXACT issues were present at the Black Ops launch. Let's not forget the several glitches that have gone unaddressed for months at a time. On the PS3, the Javelin Glitch was around for about 6 months after it was exposed. I consider stuff like that unnacceptable. When I first popped in my copy of MW2, I had to patch for 10 minutes, got in game, the servers crashed, waited half an hour, patched AGAIN for 10 minutes, and by the time even got into a match with some friends, it was unbearably laggy for everyone.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had great experiences with recent CoD games, but when I compare them to games like UT2K4, Counter-Strike, Quake 3, and now games like TF2, the experience just isn't there.

great post. CoD is just too generic. ill play it if i feel like being layed back and having some easy fun. Ill go to BF for my realistic warfare experience that i love.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
BF3 may have started advertising sooner, but not with the same budget and media exposure as the Call of Duty franchise. Advertising isn't just about getting ads out there before the other guy.

We are only talking about the utube videos here. This is the only media I know of right now with over 2 million views vs what BF3 did at the same time (which is what my op was referencing). Budget in this case really has nothing to do with it. I understand what you are implying if we are talking about commercials, ads, etc. But in this case it's safe to assume that more people are currently interested in MW3 (for now).

Edit:
Opps, it's 3 million now.

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
We are only talking about the utube videos here. This is the only media I know of right now with over 2 million views vs what BF3 did at the same time. Budget in this case really has nothing to do with it. I understand what you are implying if we are talking about commercials, ads, etc. But in this case it's safe to assume that more people are currently interested in MW3 (for now).

Yes, they are, but they shouldn't be.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
You underestimate the power of "good enough". ;)

I didn't underestimate it. I already admitted MW3 is more popular. It just doesn't make that fact any less sad.

Funtoss

System Name My Heater
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Asus P5B-E Plus
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 NT
Memory Patriot 4GB 800MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 460 1GB
Storage 2x Western Digital 640GB (1.28TB)
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2349wm 24"
Case Raidmax Hurricane
Audio Device(s) C-Media 8738
Power Supply Aywun Megapower 650w 80+
Software Windows 7 64 Bit
nice. 301 views, 9,268 likes.

more like 3 million + views now and 39 thousand + likes lol

i still didnt like black ops, but thats just me...
i would still get this game :L

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2