1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call of Duty MW3: Pay to play.

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMailMan78, Feb 14, 2010.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I sure hope the jokers that ate the hype up now enjoy the latest from IW and its lame ass followers.......

Source

digibucc, qubit and HossHuge say thanks.
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Its bad enough I had to pay $45 for MW2, making it a subscription based game is enough for me to gladly take my money elsewhere.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank all the mindless console followers for this bit of news.

4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Not necissarily, the president of Activition Blizzard is a money grubbing hooker. He's beginnging to milk WoW for all it's worth, he said he would charge more for all the instruments for Rock Band and other games (which look how many damn special editions have came out) if he could. He has said if the series is milkable, he pretty much plans to do it.

The guy isn't a gamer, he is a businessman, and with the things he has flat out said to the press it's surprising he is still running that company, as you normally don't go out and tell your target market that you are trying to milk them for all they are worth. Anything from Activition or Blizzard in the future I am VERY skeptical about, really want D3 to be good, but I already see dumbed down textures, and I'm betting it will have micro transactions.

Kei says thanks.
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The cash cow needs to be milked.

erocker says thanks.
  6. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    They can rot in hell with their projects, I'm done with cod and activision"s vision. MW2 marked the end of the series for me.

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    If you buy it. They will cum.

8. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    You seem to have embarked on a crusade lol :laugh:

+1 though. Its all because of em. :toast:

9. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    you can play the "lets hate activison" game all you want, but every publisher+dev is following suite, just look at the shear number of games out/coming out now that have first day dlc and dlc packs a week after release not to mention game quality is going down while overall price continues to go up. And you know for a fact that if activison gets away with this pay to play bs that every company is going to jump on it.

I think im just going to say F*ck it and find a new hobby :toast: The shear amount of money ive spent on pc hardware/ consoles and games over the years i could have probably started a business or something :shadedshu

10. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    ^^^ Another reason for their stupid projects to tank then. If mw3 tanks, they'll rethink their strategy.

11. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Pretty much, wiki isn't the best source for info, but it gives you an idea about how much of a douche the guy really is, here's the link, very disappointing he hasn't been dethroned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kotick

HossHuge says thanks.
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    This is the dick that ruined some cartoons.

13. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    The history of video gaming is getting depressing. From the time of Pong, games have been fun and cheap. Even poor college students such as myself could afford them. Now we have pay per month. This gaming habit is getting EXPENSIVE! I cannot afford to pay for anything per month but gasoline, housing, and food. Gaming is adding in ALOT more. Think about it, $50 game, +$15 a month is $180 a year + $50 up front. Very sad IMO.

EDIT: Thoughts on pirating: I don't do it, but I can see why people are driven to it!!!

El_Mayo says thanks.
  14. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmm so is this why there are no dedicated servers?

Then the masses see how shit it can be, then you feel like you "have" to pay to enjoy the game on a good server.

$60 for a game and $10-15 a month to play, they can kiss the dark side of my .... before I do that!

digibucc says thanks.
  15. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Amen! As long as their are other solutions to their piece of crap, they wont get another dime from me. And even if they are the only one left, I'd rather hook a controller to my **** and splash than pay em a $.:laugh:

16. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    WOW thats it I'm done with them. I can't take anymore BS from them. I hope they go out of business.

17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So what if they are going to charge to play, they aren't forcing you to buy the game. MW2 in my opinion is awful. Any sequel wouldn't be worth paying for anyways.

I will pay a monthly fee for a game under these circumstances:

-It has to be a good game
    -GM's should be available 24/7
    -Any problems/glitches with the game must be resolved in a timely manner
    -Have a good billing system
    -Have good support for the billing system
    -A good flow of new content

I don't anticipate MW3 fulfilling any of my requirements.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  18. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Even if you say "screw them I won't buy" they got a contingency plan. They will discontinue the current version and ask that you pay another $50-$60 for the new version with a slight bump in graphics, a new map and a better hand grenade. New perks like better uniforms, shiny boots, and clean brighter teeth will cost extra as they begin plans on their micro management system. They are undecided if "rage quiting perk" will be added.
    /sarcasm

btarunr says thanks.
  19. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    MP always used to be free, what the hell are they thinking? it all started with their WOW imho, its sad to see people just enriching those c****. Its been a bad week imo for gaming in general. News are getting worse day by day.

20. Whilhelm

Whilhelm New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just don't really see how they can justify a monthly fee for an FPS. I can understand an MMO having monthly fees because of the sheer volume of content that they can offer. I have never played an FPS that had enough variety and content to justify a monthly fee.

Unless perhaps MW3 is going to be an MMOFPS :wtf:

21. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    It didn't start with WoW. MMO's monthly fee is fine, content is added a lot, and overall there are more hours you can sink into those games. There has been talks of a COD MMO, which then I could possibly see the fee monthly, but if it's a MP FPS like the current COD series, then a monthly fee is ludicrous.

digibucc says thanks.
  22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    There are MMO FPS by the name of Combat Arms, Operation 7, Crossfire, and those Games are Free, only time you would pay for anything is to get a tidbit here and there, not make a monthly payment like Warcraft. Even Project Torque is like that, You would only pay to get certain licensed cars and little tidbits here and there quicker is all. TBH I like Op 7 Due to the Customization of Weapons, I Like having an Armalite AR 15 that has a 20' barrel, Rail system, Trijicon Optical Site, VLTOR A1 stock in Green Cammo. It practically looks like an A4 but has Semi and Full Auto fire ability.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  23. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I don't care how big, vast, amazing, epic, or realistic a game is I'm not paying a monthly fee, thats just it. Of course others would and I just don't feel its right.

24. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    A monthly fee? They can gladly suck my ballz (sorry if I offend anyone). I WILL NOT pay a subscription to play a freaking game, EVER! This all = FAIL.

25. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    None of those games are a very constant world, they are usually heavily instanced, and they get very little content updates. By MMO (and an MMO done right), I mean a low instanced world, instances are immersion breaking, and breaking immersion removes people from the game. Also a game that has large servers, capable of large capacity, never an empty world. Thats why I don't consider games like Guild Wars very much of an MMO.