1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call of Duty Under Religious Fire

Discussion in 'News' started by TheMailMan78, Oct 9, 2012.

?

Is this the right decision?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    85.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sergionography

Thanks Received:
    +1
    Im muslim myself, and I sure do not appreciate this, and if it was a cross instead of this frame I wouldnt appreciate it either. however I sure wont go out of my way to defend christianity because its not my faith, thats up to christians to do and I sure wont blame them if they do(offcourse aslong as its in good manners and without crossing anyone elses boundaries just like this video).
    its funny all i see in this thread is question marks, now to clear things up for people to maybe understand is that us muslims feel stronger about our religion than race/culture/nationality so when you offend our religion its like offending an african person about his color, now whether you find this ridiculous or not is up to you, but thats how strong we feel about islam, therefore comparing us with other religions probably isnt a fair comparison

on another note im studying digital design/video game modeling and i know very well how much work is put in to design models for games, so i hardly think it was an accident designing the frame, however unless this is the only place its found in the game(which i hightly doubt) then we can say its intentional, otherwise its probably just randomly placed in there from the cod library.

2. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    and they realize it only now?...

3. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    i know i know but stuff like this gets me pretty infuriated, i hate biggotry. all the cursing has a point here, if one biggot reads this, cursing gets the message through his skull and he sees the light i wouldn't feel bad even about getting permabanned. :toast:

this thread is most likely getting nuked anyways.

4. Rahmat Sofyan

Rahmat Sofyan

Thanks Received:
    :)

I guess that's in my country Indonesia right?

ahh dude, I wish I can explain you about that... but for your info there is an act from our Ulama and MUI about that, and they've meet each other. as far as I know, the solution was good but unfortunately it's very sensitive if I say why that thing happen and I think have no right to tell it, because I'm worry what if I'm wrong how to say it.:eek:

5. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Any time you put politics or religion in any thing nothing good can come of it. This is just not the place for this thread. WE have to agree to disagree at some point and try to co-exist as one. This means every one!

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    This has gotten way out of hand.

While the devs who worked on this game probably put the picture in the toilet for a laugh and made a bet to see if anyone would ever see it let alone pay attention long enough to read it, I believe that insulting Islam was probably the last thing on their minds.

This is the 21st century, we all say that we are more civilised but it takes only a small minority to ruin it for everyone.

as much as I think EVERYONE deserves respect firstly as a fellow human being. there are races and cultures that dont see it this way.

We have come far since the dark ages. I am in no position to tell people what to do but as much as i respect everyones religions, cultures and races equally. I have to say that I think that the Islamic community needs to calm down a little. Did not the Prophet Mohammed and Allah preach forgiveness Just like any faith or religion.

my only wish is for people to get along and not hold so much animosity against each other.

okidna and rpsgc say thanks.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Christians complain all the time. No one listens. The difference is there is no perceived threat of violence. Most Christians simply don't buy the game if they find it offensive.....as I believe most Muslims will do the same. However don't think for a second Activision is doing it to please moderate Muslims. They are doing it because they don't wanna get blown up by the dumb asses looking for an excuse to attack a western establishment. Islam is irrelevant to Activision. Its the fear they have of extremists.

trickson says thanks.
  8. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Activision is scared shitless now! Retract!!!! Retract!!!!! Will fix this! Hold on people! We are sorry! The joke is on them really. They knew and they know they knew!

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt they knew. I bet some artist typed in "Muslim picture frame" into google images and found a picture. Made a texture and uploaded it to the server having NO IDEA what it says.

10. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps.

11. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Yet they can do whatever they want to Christians and face no backlash. Heh, such a double standard in the world because one will go on a rampage at the first sign of offense. Who cares...let them riot and get mad, kill their own people. Grow a backbone world. We spend far too much time worrying about offending everyone. Specially about those who don't do the same. They don't obsess about offending us. We've long since taken up the "Don't tread on me," welcome mat and put out the "Tread on me harder!" welcome mat. Super M!! heh

rpsgc and trickson say thanks.
  12. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. :rockout:

13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    On the other hand, if all it takes is the removal of some texture... I get that it's the point that counts, but still.

14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah ok. Now I understand. No I agree with you. I'm not saying any one religion is better then another. What I am saying is the threat of violence under ANY mask shouldn't be tolerated. However Activision is caving to a single youtube video under a presumed violence by a few people who hide behind the vail of religion. My point is they should do it for ALL religious material if they do it for one. But they won't and the more people cave to that presumed violence the stronger and more validated the extremists will get.

Do I agree with the texture? No. But you pull that texture you better be ready to pull ANYTHING offensive to ANYONE.

15. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    so many have died cause of these religious leaders, fuck it bro, let this hottie dance on top of me crank some music and drink some coke and rum, ftw :toast:

16. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Damn,
    there goes my Allah Wake franchise.

But seriously, any publisher needs to be very careful what they put out especially when there is a modicum of stereotyping involved.

I'm sure a game that portrayed a Priest as a Paedo would make the Vatican a bit angry. Or something that portrayed Jesus in a controversial way. NO wait, we had Temptation of the Christ. And also the 'Life of Brian' was banned in Ireland. Christians react this way too you know. Religion is such a nuisance when it comes to freedom of speech.

Game developers should leave religious connotations out of games period. Unless they have the balls to follow through with their production.

People of any belief are prone to get pissed at something.

ZakkWylde and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  17. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Maybe this has been addressed earlier? I skimmed but I'm seeing a lot of f-bombs being dropped and they seem to be dropping out of frustration. Could we calm down the language? There's no need to be f-ing all over a topic that has swayed to people's beliefs. As much as I recommend leaving spiritualism @home that's no reason to bring out the nasty stuff in a discussion where we should be respectful.

trickson says thanks.
  18. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    I don't wanna live on this planet anymore. This is getting ridicules. I can already barely can go to sleep knowing that there are so many stupid people living on this planet.

19. omnimodis78

omnimodis78

Thanks Received:
    But it's OK for arabs to fly planes into buildings in the name of allah...or is it ahmed, muhamad sorry what's the guy's name they keep killing people for (including their own)?

Ok that was the most ignorant comment I've ever written but I just had to. Sorry.

20. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Negative.

It's the fear of getting $20,000,000 profit vs. $50,000,000 profit. Not that I'm saying it could shift all that way, but even a possibility of losing a few thousand worth of profit is what scares companies like Activision.
    If Activision actually did see the future and saw that if they didn't release a statement apologizing it wouldn't affect them in the slightest, I guarantee they wouldn't have any qualms about leaving it in the game.

21. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yes is was very ignorant. We can forgive you.

22. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    No, they are afraid of The Man. While The Man is afraid to loose ratings for "not stopping terrorism while before it got big enough to bomb us taxpayers". This might sound cynical, but please, give it some thought.
    (I hope You guys will correctly interpret what I mean by "The Man".)

'cept that it's not. I won't go into details myself, 'cause others already did a pretty good job in it here Allah on Wikipedia
    Especially the third sentence in the article and these paragraphs: usage in Christianity and usage in Judasim

We need an emoticon for "mind blown" here.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:

So to prove that Muslims are OK with the rest of the world and secure the first thing they do is to threaten others. Good job.

If you can't take the heat stay out the kitchen. Even if it were intentional, who cares besides a few people who need to grow up anyway? Religion is a personal choice, and I for one feel it should be kept that way, no more any religion favored over any other.

rpsgc says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I know what you are saying......lol. I agree kinda. Still screw "The Man". :laugh:

25. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Why are we changing things for the mentally handicapped?

Absurd.

rpsgc says thanks.