1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

camera recommendation for Hardware Review Pics

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wolf2009, Feb 16, 2009.

1. wolf2009 Guest

I am going to be shooting some hardware pics for reviews.

So please suggest me a camera. I don't need a high MP camera, since the pics to be published will be cropped anyway to a low size.

But what I would need is some way to customize the flash intensity and direction through a accessory or something.

Budget is pretty tight, like anything less than $150. Even $150 is stretching it.

I'm currently looking at http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8696155&type=product&id=1198888712074

Sony dsc-s750 for $90, and maybe I can add a flash accessory to it

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That Sony will work fine, however you deffinitely never want to use flash for taking hardware review pics. The cheapest way to go for good lighting would be picking up a halogen light set from Home Depot or the like. I use a dual 500W halogen setup.

[​IMG]

AsRock says thanks.
  3. wolf2009 Guest

thats a damn good idea. Wish I could thank you more.

So I just buy that lamp ? and shoot with flash off ? Wouldn't that lamp reflect off the shiny plastic on hardware ?

Can you point me to a cheap set on Home Depot?

4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Nice idea, just make your own for cheaper.

5. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't find the lights on their website, but they do have them. As far as taking the pictures you want to make sure you have the macro setting on and set the "lighting profile" (there are different names for different cameras) to what looks best (i.e. get rid of the yellowness in the picture) You will need a tri-pod or something sturdy to set the camera on too.

Here's a set of lights at Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=182105-52757-WL500HDPT-L&lpage=none

Cheap mini-tripod: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ripod&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1099391932573

6. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    Olympus C2100 ... if you can find something on eBAY .

Still with any good camera , you need some training to take advantage of it ,
    one good horse needs an excellent rider to show it power .

The Olympus C2100 its one of that good horses. ;)

Attached Files:

7. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you use a tripod the flash won't be necessary in a decently lit room. A tripod is cheaper than a slaved flash; any cheap point and shoot camera should be adequate so long as it has a typical tripod screw point. If you're doing reviews you should be using a tripod anyway.

It's called White Balance or Auto White Balance (AWB). Most newer cameras allow you to choose preset profiles or change the exposure "temperature."

You don't need a massively bright light source, just normal interior lights in your house. If you have your camera on automatic is should adjust the exposure length just fine. If it is to dark, change it to your "night shot" setting, that most P&S cameras have.

Also place whatever you are shooting on a uniform, light colored surface.

I shot this with no flash, using a tripod, and no additional light.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  8. Damian^

Damian^ New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Always use a tripod + timer for best results. Try to get a camera with a "Manual" mode too.

10. wolf2009 Guest

good stuff guys. thanks .

SO I can get the dsc-s750 for $60 with a coupon. And spend the rest on a tripod and lights , agreed ?

11. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I just don't see the reason for the lights though. It is excessive unless you want to get artistic with spot lighting and silhouetting; which aren't desirable in a tech review.

Make sure the Sony uses a standard tripod mount so you don't have to pay twice as much for a Sony tripod with some sort of miniature mount.

12. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Only reason I use the halogens is due to very poor lighting where I take the pictures and I already had the lights for my shop. My halogen stand has the bulbs spread pretty far apart and it works well for killing shadows.

13. wolf2009 Guest

I will need lights, as my apartment doesn't have any lights. I use the desk lamp which serves my purpose for living at night.

Can you find if the Sony DSC 750 has a tripod mount ?

14. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you must have a tripod. yes must. no way without tripod.

regarding camera. my first reviews were shot using the canon powershot a30 or was it a40?. i then switched to the canon pro1 until i got the eos 5d mark ii in december 2008.

your cam should have manual white balance and some form of optical macro zoom. aperture priority mode is also a must, raw is a nice addon. other than that most is in the skill and experience of the photographer. and dont forget to use a tripod

if you have the money get the manfrotto 055 pro tripod because it allows you to take shots straight down. when on a budget get any random cheap tripod

who are you going to review for ?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  15. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man i got a old lamps set of photographer...4 lamps of 300watts each. The neighborhood basted looked always in my room while i was here the night...one night i pointed it on him and put it at ON. He nevr expected to see so much lights coming in his home hahahah This old pervs never looked here afterward :p

16. wolf2009 Guest

can you use SD cards with Sony DSC-S750 or do you have to use some sony proprietary card ?

17. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sony makes all their products proprietary with their Memory Pro Duo :shadedshu , its a shame why wouldnt it just all be SD Cards >.<

18. wolf2009 Guest

that turns me off from buying that camera, isn't the memory stick more expensive than SD Cards ?

19. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    They actually cost the same as SD Cards but Sony puts a higher margin on the products for higher sales , but yes they are a little more expensive

20. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    My Sony Alpha uses CF, you actually have to use an adapter if you want to use Memory Stick Duo.

21. wolf2009 Guest

what is CF ?

Do yo need an adapter to use memory stick duo in a sony camera ?

22. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    CF is Compact Flash.
    And no you do not need to use an adapter with memory stick duo's for sony cameras, atleast not the ones that i have messed with...or if you have Thermo's camera then you do need an adapter.

23. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    unless you have a specific reason not to go with canon or nikon, go with canon or nikon. you will learn how to properly use their cams over time and when you decide to upgrade to a better cam (which will most probably be canon or nikon) there is less of a learning curve

24. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Get a tripod. Try and see if you can get a decent second hand Canon or Nikon P&S instead of that Sony.

When it comes to light source get something that you can control and use to "knock-out" other types of light where you are doing your photos. This allows you to get a more uniform look and will save you a lot of time compared to setting up manual WB for each review. Those halogen lights are not half bad if you have a white sealing to point them up at, that will give you a "floodlight (far from perfect but good considering the price)" look.

25. wolf2009 Guest

price is the thing thats stopping me from going canon.

another reason is the use of a rechargable battery in sony rather than having to buy and replace AA batteries.