• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can a CPU overclock cause some games to CTD...

System Name The Terminator.
Processor Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz.
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-Extreme
Cooling Stock.
Memory Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz Dominator-GT Memory Kit CL8 (8-9-8-24) 1.65V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 6950 2GB GDDR5.
Storage WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s / OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD.
Display(s) 24'' Widescreen Samsung 1080p.
Case Antec 1200 Gaming Case.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
Power Supply TX 650W Corsair
Software Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
... But not others?

I'm stumped. The other day i reformatted my PC and decided to once and for all overclock my E6600 from 2.40ghz to 3.60. I re-installed all my games and software as you do. To my surprise, all of a sudden Dawn of War 2 has decided it wants to crash to desktop 5 minutes into a game with the Relic error report up on screen. So i rolled back from the latest garbage drivers from Nvidia (196.21 > 195.62) but still the game crashes to desktop with error report.

Okay, so i jump on to Fallen Earth and play a bit of that with a friend. It's fine, until i adjust some graphical settings in-game and it CTDs with an error report. What's strange is the game doesn't crash while im playing, only when i adjust the graphics in some shape or form (at least i think). Which is leaving me stumped. I'm pretty sure this game has its fair share of bugs as well, so im not too bothered about that.

Aliens Versus Predator however runs fine, i have played for at least an hour at a time with no CTD's.

I'm stumped as to why DOW2 has now decided to crash on me when i am running exactly the same system as i was before, minus the overclock. But im thinking if it was the CPU overclock the game would hard-lock/freeze and not simply CTD with an error report 5-10 minutes into a game. And also AVP would crash, especially since that game was poorly coded and is riddled with memory leaks.

Anyone have any ideas?

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
run Intelburntest, LinX, or OCCT for stability on your overclock. if one of those fail then your OC is not stable.

The first question I would ask is whether the OC is stable. Unstable OCs do all sorts of weird things.

Maybe the OC has pushed the RAM too far?

If you want to ensure it's your OC, revert everything back to stock settings and if the games work, you can be sure it's your OC.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
To be able to ALT-TAB back to desktop, a copy of vga ram is held in system ram. Errors here can cause CTD. Check your ram.

Secondly, power consumption increases due to the pu overclock could affect power delivered to the vgas. Check PSU 12v line as well.

Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
Simple answer to the question is yes. Try a lower overclock or higher voltages.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
... But not others?

I'm stumped. The other day i reformatted my PC and decided to once and for all overclock my E6600 from 2.40ghz to 3.60. I re-installed all my games and software as you do. To my surprise, all of a sudden Dawn of War 2 has decided it wants to crash to desktop 5 minutes into a game with the Relic error report up on screen. So i rolled back from the latest garbage drivers from Nvidia (196.21 > 195.62) but still the game crashes to desktop with error report.

Okay, so i jump on to Fallen Earth and play a bit of that with a friend. It's fine, until i adjust some graphical settings in-game and it CTDs with an error report. What's strange is the game doesn't crash while im playing, only when i adjust the graphics in some shape or form (at least i think). Which is leaving me stumped. I'm pretty sure this game has its fair share of bugs as well, so im not too bothered about that.

Aliens Versus Predator however runs fine, i have played for at least an hour at a time with no CTD's.

I'm stumped as to why DOW2 has now decided to crash on me when i am running exactly the same system as i was before, minus the overclock. But im thinking if it was the CPU overclock the game would hard-lock/freeze and not simply CTD with an error report 5-10 minutes into a game. And also AVP would crash, especially since that game was poorly coded and is riddled with memory leaks.

Anyone have any ideas?

Of course. It can get even weirder, such as stability tests passing (Say you ran Prime95 or LinX, or both) and games crashing. This is because in game the northbridge can be stressed more, for example, due to PCIe traffic going through it as well as memory accesses.

Run stability tests, you're likely not stable.

System Name The Terminator.
Processor Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz.
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-Extreme
Cooling Stock.
Memory Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz Dominator-GT Memory Kit CL8 (8-9-8-24) 1.65V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 6950 2GB GDDR5.
Storage WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s / OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD.
Display(s) 24'' Widescreen Samsung 1080p.
Case Antec 1200 Gaming Case.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
Power Supply TX 650W Corsair
Software Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
Hey dudes!

Just reset BIOS to defaults - voila, no more crashing.

Le Sigh. I guess 3.60ghz was too much? Or i just did something wrong? It appears i am still a meagre Padawan in the face of overclocking.

I feel stupid for not trying this sooner.

Thanks for your time TPU, this place is always so helpful.

:toast:

System Name Old Skool
Processor E6750 @ 3.6 ghz
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v
Memory 4gb Kingston DDR2 @ 900mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GT 512MB
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Display(s) VIEWSONIC vx2260wm
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek (on board) + Logitech x540
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
Maybe the OC wasn't stable, missing some voltage or whatever. I had the same issues with crysis, whether the OC was stable or not though. Guess it only goes down to luck sometimes.