1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can a GTX 570 deal with recents GC to play latests games

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by okman2008, Nov 8, 2013.

1. okman2008 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone :)
    This is my first participation in this forum and i would like to tackle a controversial and serious affair : When it is necessary to change a graphic card especially if it is powerful (like a GTX 570 in its time) ?!
    I evoke this subject after the little experiment I did when comparing my new CG MSI 780 GTX GAMING with my "old" MSI GTX 570 card! Of course there is nothing to say about the gross performance of the 780 which is at least the double comparing to the GTX 570.
    My disappointment comes from the fact that in practice it does not change much things: all the latest games including the most resource demanding are running without problem. Few games that can cause fluidity problems in very high setting, reducing anti-aliasing will resolve this kind of issues (crysis 3).
    By the way did you notice the numbers of parameters actually associated to anti-aliasing : SSAA, FXAA, TXAA, MSAA, SMAA !! I can say without a doubt that companies of this sector, like any others, use a lot of marketing arguments to encourage people to buy more or changing products : they creates needs that we don't need.
    At the risk of repeating myself, I invite you to see this video that shows that we can mostly play comfortably with a gtx 570 like the most recent, powerful but expensive 780 GTX GC :

MSI GTX 780 TF4 Vs MSI 570 TF3 Gaming experience -...

So, according to your experience, what is the appropriate time or conditions / circumstances to start thinking about changing the CG !
    Sorry for my English,if there's mistakes :rolleyes:
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my opinion on when to replace is either when money allows for it, or when gaming or whatever you do with it is suffering noticeably. Sorry for being vague, but I have yet to "need" and upgrade, it just seemed right with a new system build.
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I have a GTX570 and i'm not upgrading anytime soon. There is no game the card can't run, in fact i run them all with high or a mix of very high and high settings. But it all depends on who you ask.

If i buy a card i want one that is AT LEAST 3x more powerful then the GTX570 and has at least 4GB vram, and doesn't cost more than $400, the R290 comes close but not enough.
  5. xxdozer322

xxdozer322

Thanks Received:
    im still running my 580, found another 580 for 150 on craigslist...so i wont be upgrading anytime soon either. im pretty sure if you searched craigslist everyday, i bet you could find a person whose selling a 570 for dirt cheap locally. I usually lowball, sometimes people are really in need of money, and they take the offer.
  6. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Have a GTX570 runs almost everything high/ultra 1080p 60fps
    It's fine unless you are running multiple monitors or want insane AA on new games
  7. okman2008 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I totally agree ! changing a 570 gtx can also be justified if we plan to play in stereoscopic 3d vision
  8. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Yep! They can't really deal with 120fps at max, they are capable cards still. Their compute power isn't too bad either i'd hold on another generation personally :toast:
  9. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    I have a GTX 570 and I'm upgrading for a couple reasons, none of which involve being unable to play games that I want to play:

1) My system in general (cpu mainly) is preventing me from being able to stream gameplay, music and use third party programs like skype at the same time. I want to be able to stream LoL and FPS games on Twitch.tv without taxing my system.

2) I want to be able to use Shadowplay to do the afformentioned, which is only supported on newer NVIDIA cards using Kepler chips.

3) I'm switching to 1440p on a korean panel overclocked to 120hz so I need cards capable of running at 100+ fps in that resolution with decent settings. A single 570 just doesn't cut it at that resolution.

I also built my system 4 years ago and upgrade the GPU and memory a couple years ago, I'll be able to sell the computer for a decent amount since several of my components are still decently powerful for non-extreme uses. So long story short: you upgrade when you can afford to and have reasons to. If I wasn't upgrading my display and wanting to stream with Shadowplay I wouldn't be building a new computer. But I can afford to so I did...

As a side note: parts started showing up yesterday, monitor and GPUs are coming next couple days...so excited!!!
  10. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Go for it?

are you asking us something? or telling the OP?
  11. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    personally, if i cant run a game [properly optimized at least] at ALL HIGH; stable close to 60 fps, it might be a time for an upgrade

or going by tiers and rankings, i'd upgrade at least 3 tiers above mine
  12. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    How have you not upgraded then?

6950 cant possibly be stable 60fps ;)
  13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Upgrade timing is all about how tolerant you are to compromising settings, esp in your most anticipated games. So only you can answer when to change your GPU.
  14. okman2008 New Member

Thanks Received:
    We are always excited for new hardware ! by the way what was your choice regarding cg
  15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    if you are happy in lowering the game details as time goes on, bit by bit, i dont see how its necessary to upgrade.

but say it hnders you from playing a game THAT YOU LIKE, thats the time to upgrade
  16. okman2008 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is not a matter of self-satisfaction! but I wanted to clarify the role that marketing plays when it forces us skillfully, to buy needs that do not need it.

To simplify things,or making them more cartoonish : what do you think of someone who has changed a 7970 GHz by GTX 780 coz this latter is for example 15% more powerful...
    hence my question at the end of my first message : according to your experience, what is the appropriate time or conditions / circumstances to start thinking about changing the CG !
  17. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have the budget, just upgrade :)

If you don't (or you're gaming at 1080p 60Hz) don't bother, your 570 is enough and you won't see any big difference with a better card.
  18. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    I went with two GTX 780ti superclocked cards from EVGA and I'm going to use them to run a QNIX QX2710 glossy 27" 1440p monitor overclocked to (hopefully) 120hz.
  19. okman2008 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is what I realized when changing my GTX 570 with a GTX 780 ;) that's what the video is talking about ;)
  20. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And, so you just answered your own question? ;)