1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

can a web filter block web page formatting?

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Hybrid_theory, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    I ask this question cause at work when i visit techpowerup and the forums. There's little formatting to the page. its mostly text in white boxes. i have no button to create new threads, posts, or edit. I can do quick replies but thats it. At first i thought it was IE6. But on Thursday i got IT to install firefox 3 for me. Same thing. But if i go over to generalnonsense, its fine. Can see all the buttons and the proper backgrounds and everything.
  2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    depends on the filter. if it is looking for key phrases in the html it will filter them out and sometimes take formatting code with it. generally that is a crappy web filter though.
  3. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    the company i work for uses websense. ill see it block ads on some sites, and block whole pages as well.

nice new avatar there rhino
  4. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    The answer is yes, but it really should not happen. IMO I bet it is blocking potentially harmful javascript from being executed.
  5. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the same problem today and since 2 days ago using the Msn website but only some of their pages. Instead of the normal alignment all text are smaller and grouped together in the corner of the page. It sucks but I guess it's maybe a problem with one of their html code or with the incorporated Silverlight in their new programation.