1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can anyone name a few PCI sound cards that have a single digital output?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by smokingwheels, Nov 26, 2012.

1. smokingwheels New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive got a few old SoundBlaster live 5.1 cards and I have learned that the digital output is on 3 separate wires because when I connect my pc to another pc with digital input I only get 2 of the 6 channels.

later on I want to connect my pc's to an AV Receiver and I need a single output that contains the 5.1 info.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Hdmi?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    Quick list;

- Asus Essence ST
    - Just about all Auzentechs

There are probably more out there but they are the ones that come to mind that are PCI and have digital output.
  4. upintheclouds New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your S/PDIF connector is working properly. You will get 5.1 channel output from the digital connection when an AC3 or DTS track is played back, as that uses the same bandwidth as two uncompressed PCM channels. You can not play back 5.1 or 7.1 PCM streams over any S/PDIF connection from any PCI sound card, you must use HDMI for multichannel digital or switch to analog output.
  5. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    What you learnt is incorrect.

3x cable is analogue.

Digital output is 1x cable. i.e. Digital fibre optical, digital coaxial and HDMI are 1x cable

You can only pass 2 channels through digital uncompressed (excluding HDMI), hence why you're only getting stereo. For 5.1 you need a amp as an intermediate and you need material that is pre-encoded and compressed i.e. a DVD recorded in Dolby Digital.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012