1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can anyone see a problem with this system

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BigJunit, Mar 17, 2007.

1. BigJunit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I am about to invest in a bit of a revamp to my current hardware. Before I part with my hard earned cash I just want to make sure I have not missed something really stupid.

Currently I have :

ASUS Crosshair Motherboard (AM2)
    AMD 64 3500+
    Nvidia BFG Geforce 7600GT
    1gb Cheap Ram

I am looking to upgrade:

CPU - AMD X2 5200+ Here
    GPU - BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC2 320MB Here
    Memory - OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 Here

Can anyone see and problems this new hardware may cause or any incompatibility issues (i am running Windows XP pro btw)

Also I use water cooling and need a block for the GPU with 10/8mm (G1/4') connections, if anyone knows of one it would be much appreciated.

Cheers Guys,
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What PSU are you planning on running this rig with?
  3. BigJunit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah yes, forgot to mention that - I currently have a Jeantech 600w Modular PSU (SLI Ready)
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hard to judge that PSU. Specs on manufacturer website are not that specific. There is a chance it will have trouble powering that 8800. People in the past have had trouble with 19amp 12v rail psu's and that card. You should find a PSU with at least 24 to 26 amps on the 12v rail.
  5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also check mobo manuel to ensure you can use that OCZ memory. Asus boards are quite memory specific.
  6. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your system specs are fine. And so is your PSU and Memory. All should work together, Asus motherboards are not so picky with memory as suggested.
  7. BigJunit New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the replies - have checked the Asus manual and the OCZ memory is listed. Only problem may come from the power supply as I have quite alot running in the 12v rails. PCProbe II shows it as running at 11.78v both idle and load, this suggests to me that the 12v rail has more to give.

Have order parts, they will arrive tuesday so will post followup (if the system works of course)
  8. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    It should be fine, it is probably within the tolerances allowed. Just note, I don't exactly trust the voltage monitoring features built in to some MB. I've tested several MB and have checked with my Fluke scopemeter and there were discrepancies (although not by much, within 0.2 V) with the results, and if it were the case, your MB is within 0.2V so your MB 12V rail may be closer than you think.
  9. MGrant1957 New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Jeantech, i had 2 of them damn things ( 600w ) and both failed 1 after 6 mths the other after 3 days :laugh:, but i got the hiper Type R 580 and its been amazing and cheaper than the jeantech. It could have been i had 2 bad ones but who knows, anyway something for you to think about.

Cheers:rockout:
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007