1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can CPU temperature affect performance?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by hat, May 6, 2012.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I recently installed a new CPU cooler that actually resulted in higher temps, and my SIM score in Supreme Commander 2 seems to have suffered relative to other people that I play with regularly. I'm wondering if CPU temperature can affect performance? I'm sure it's not throttling... I don't think AMD processors throttle. Max temp in OCCT Linpack appears to be about 54c, before it might have been 40c or so.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    No.
    Only indirectly via throttling. And yes, AMD chips throttle, too. Though that should not happen at 54ºC. What else did you do while you installed the cooler? Did you reset the bios?
  3. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    have you checked your overclocks?... same drivers?

temps wont affect performance as long as they are not causing issues such as throttling.
  4. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you sure the cooler is seated upon the chip correctly and you have not applied to much thermal paste/compound on the cpu?, seems strange that a new cooler (i presume its an upgrade from stock?) would result in higher temps of almost 14*c

as largon has said the cpu will only begin to throttle and eventually shut off to prevent damage, 54*c is not a unsafe temp though so i think it may be something else, also may i ask why you would reset a bios when installing a cooler largon? :confused:
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Physically, a circuit is less capable of allowing current to travel through it as temperatures increases. So a CPU is less efficient at higher temperatures would be a more accurate statement, unless you're talking about sub-zero temperatures where temperature has the opposite effect, as the circuit gets colder it allows current to flow better. So performance at any given clock speed isn't impacted, however what kinds of clock speeds you can achieve is impacted by temperature, as well as how much power to drive the CPU.
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    The other replies on throttling and temperature are spot on. Making your CPU run hotter but well within its thermal limits won't slow it down.

Just check your clock speeds with a hardware monitor program and look at the BIOS settings, as you might have changed something inadvertently.
  8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    what cooler did you get?
  9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I went from a Thermaltake Big Typhoon to an Ultra Chilltec. The Chilltec seems to be a pretty lousy cooler after digging around on the web a bit...

I didn't change anything other than the cpu cooler. I did just reformat last night though, the last install was running since July 2009 and I've been through a few hardware changes since.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I'd go with a good ole "load default values" and start over in bios, on any overclocks you did.
    After a fresh reformat, you get worse performance? That's odd.. I hope there isn't some hardware degradation going on.
  11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    No I had the issue before I reformatted, that's part of the reason why I did it.

Not sure what could have changed in the BIOS, I didn't even go in there when I changed coolers. I did check my clockspeeds, everything is set right were it was as listed in my specs.
    Crunching for Team TPU