1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can I keep Windows 8 Release Preview when Win 8 comes out or will I have to reinstall

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Phusius, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to try out Windows 8 Release Preview on a new hard drive I just got that is blank, I have the ISO image ready to go on a flash drive. When Windows 8 comes out retail, can I just buy the CD Key and input it or will I have to re-install everything again?
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it wont deactivate when retail comes out (that will happen later, at a preset date), but yes to upgrade you will need to reinstall.
    Phusius says thanks.
  3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you will have to do a clean install to move from Release Preview to RTM/Retail.
  4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Mussels, that is a shame. I would hate to have to re-download everything again. I think I will just use my Win 7 OEM install and be done with it.
  5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yes it's true, as the others have said there's no upgrade path between a pre-release OS and the final version.

Also, the pre-release version will stop working in some way a while after RTM comes out. For Windows 7, the beta would blue screen every two hours, with no warning. I think this wasn't a fair way to disable it, as there should have been a five minute countdown timer or something, but there you have it. Chances are that Windows 8 beta will bomb out in a similar way.
  6. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Well, the blue screening did start happening like almost a year after RTM was released. That's what finally got me get my RTM copy of 7. I can't complain about it. From the start of 7's beta until the beta started blue screening, I got about 18 months of use out of 7 for free, IIRC.

I could be off some on the amount of time I used 7 beta, but I started using it the first week the beta started, and I got my copy of RTM 7 about 2 weeks after the beta started blue screening. So however long that is, I got to use 7 for free for that time.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Seems kind of silly that they couldn't just have Windows Update remove any beta code and install RTM code once you have a valid RTM key so you don't have to do a complete system re-install. (shrug)
    Phusius says thanks.
  8. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    My point exactly. Thanks. :rockout: