1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can I swap hard drives in 2 PC desktops?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by geno368, Oct 20, 2009.

1. geno368 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with some problems. I have another newer Dell in the office that is not being used that has more resources. Both are running XP Professional. Instead of trying to re-load files and programs, can I just swap out the hard drives? Thanks.

2. kyle2020 Guest

depends on several factors - any raid arrays? same motherboards / chipsets?

3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you should be able to without any constraints. I have done so with Dell Dimension 8200s before.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i am going to have to disagree slightly. you SHOULD be able to, but since you are saying that the other dell is newer, i'm going to take a guess and say that the hardware in that dell is different than the hardware in your dell at home. because of that, you MAY have some driver issues. i've taken the hard drive from an inspiron 1525 and put into an e1505 and it's worked flawlessly right off the bat. although i did have to install new graphics drivers. i've also taken the hard drive that originally came with the e1505 and put it into a dimension 4600 and that worked just fine. so basically all i'm trying to say (i know i've repeated myself multiples times, i'm sorry) is that it should work, but don't be surprised if there is a driver error.