1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can i use a gpu using mac

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by u2konline, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    1. There are Linux distributions which are completely free, look far better than OS X, boot faster, and are completely open. However, they tend to lack the die-hard following that comes with Apple devices and systems, and so rarely come up in these arguments.
    2. Very (very, very, very) few games on Steam have a Mac version.

I tend to steer away from these arguments because they are pointless and amount to religious arguments where no side ever wins, but I had to bring up these two facts here.

2. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Not in the UK at-least.

There's not a single thing that Apple are competitive with here.

Anyway to avoid being a complete dick.

There is lots of tutorials online with how to rsetup a hackintosh and what motherboards/gpus etc things like that will work.

Simply google hackintosh how to :D ( bare in mind that it's a breach of Apples terms of service and their copywright of their OS to do a hackintosh system)

If you were thinking of building an actual Mac, you can't, they're a brand.

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    They're still expensive. :)

BTW, I have a virtual machine with OSX and that works pretty darn good, at least for just looking around and minor tech support.

4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    U2K always has a crazy idea. MAC cards are expensive BTW,

i know im beating a dead horse by saying this but build a mid level PC and be done with it

qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    unless your doing anything where you would benifit from the mac osx just stick to windows but you can make any gpu work within osx theres no need to buy a gpu that says its compatable with a mac. There are many sites out there who provide installers which you select the right drivers and bit for your set up and it will modify the osx to run with them. Snow leopard doesnt support 4850 as stock thats how i got mine to run, and the onboard sound. You just click next it does all the hard work. That is if you actualy need to go through the hassle. I myself had to for the fact that there are audio programmes that are mac only that are far superior to the windows counterparts, if they were windows compatable i would not have installed a mac.

look through this website if you still want to build a mac pc.

TonyMacx86

And look at the Iboot and Multibeast software that will do the hardwork for you. Just get the right version for the right version of the osx.

Just bear in mind it is illegal to install a mac on non mac hardware or to modify the osx.

6. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    OMG like everyone has the knowledge, skills and patience to just build their own PC. And this doesn't even bring software into the mix. I'm sorry, as better as Windows 7 is the internet is still a dangerous place for a Windows box and moreover all of Apple's software starting with the OS is very well designed and intuitive for the average non-computer-savvy user.

Of course this doesn't mean jack to us PC enthusiasts but we are far from the average masses that truly keep these companies in business.

7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Well, hopefully our OP isn't such a clueless user or he wouldn't be posting on here.

It sounds like he wants to build his own Mac, therefore, if he can manage that, then he can manager building a regular PC much more easily, as there's no tricks and gotchas like you've got with building a hackintosh.

And as you say, Macs are designed for "the average non-computer-savvy user." and that's where they should stay. They offer no practical advantage in any area to a PC.

8. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    guys come the op asked how to build a hackintosh not for your, nor my, opinions.

9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, with such an anti Apple feeling on here, it's probably the wrong place to ask, lol.

10. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    true but still...

11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I know and I'm one of the "worst". :laugh: I don't think he should bother at all and haven't minced my words. Some others seem to have given some decent pointers though.

12. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    In the end everyone has given very good advice on every aspect of his question. The op has been provided with links and more then enough information to full fill the task if he so requires. He has also been provided with very good personal opinions on weather the hassle is worth it, and i wont lie installing an osx on a pc does take time. Unless he has any more questions id consider it answered.

I dont mean to sound rude or obnoxious, its hard in text :p.

qubit says thanks.
  13. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    I have U2K in my Steam friends list and I've played L4D2 with him. The games list for Mac is much much smaller than the PC list. Go to any game site and a vast majority of PC games reviewed won't have a Mac version.

I remember Amiga had superior sound and video editing software for its time but it became a dinosaur nonetheless. I don't know how Mac even retains it's niche market TBH. Probably won't forever. Building a high end PC would be simpler than a Hackintosh and have much better yields to a gamer.

14. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    it all depends on what he wants to do with it if its gaming then id say 100 percent go for a pc, image editing not too sure as photo shop runs in windows, audio editing/producing 100 percent mac, video editing not too sure as i have never done it. If its just general web browsing and watching movies then either could full fill those tasks just as well. But if you have any media centres, xbox etc id go for windows as i dont know or if a mac can connect to a 360 or other windows based pc's.

15. IndigoGoose New Member

Thanks Received:
    Same but i thought i would put in a input considering everyone was saying they can't play games. Personally i wouldn't mind a Mac or Pc both do their jobs great