1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can I wire two fans into one MB fan power socket?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Tommygunn, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Tommygunn

Thanks Received:
    I have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard of which I'm using 4 out of the 5 fan sockets. However, I want to use the unused Power 2 socket to power my redundant Intel fan and Asus heatsink fan to add extra cooling to the Northbridge/Memory and Southbridge components. Basically, without any adverse effects, can I splice the two into one plug and power each off the one socket?

2. yes you can, just don't put to many on it, i've done the same with my asus a8n32 sli delux

3. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    i just dont even use the mobo as a fan controller and run the fans directly to the 12v connection.. the mobo seems to make the fans run slower to me. right on the direct 12v line they run 110% it looked like to me. especially if the fans speed is controlled by the case.. my fan case speed adjuster let me fans go to like 75% max speed if that.

4. Tommygunn

Thanks Received:
    Good stuff. Time to get the soldering iron out.

5. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you will not overload the amperage maximum for a single fan connector.
    Refer to your motherboard manual for max values.

6. Tommygunn

Thanks Received:
    My fans are rated at 0.08Amps and 0.60Amps at 12Volts and since the manual says that each MB socket can handle 2Amps(24W max) at 12 Volts everything should be fine.
    Thanks for the info.

7. don't bother with solder, get heatshrink and just splice em together and then throw some heatshrink on there, nice and neat

8. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    you know they actually sell them?