• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can my bios CPU temperature be wrong?

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I've had this E8400 for nearly 2 years now, I overclocked it to 4Ghz the same day I installed it and it's always been like that since then. Stable with linpack, orthos.
Played tons of games, always stable.

It idles between 30-35 degrees, and at load it's 55-58 degrees. So far so good.
I checked the temps (and just checked them now) with coretemp, realtemp, speccy and hwinfo.

I never bothered to check the reading in the bios.

Now it happened that my mobo's battery needs replacing. These past 3 days, the date and time were going berserk and I had to reset my OC every time.

So while I was in the bios I checked the CPU temperature and it was 62 degrees. :eek:
Obviously with no load, because it's in the bios screen.

Immediately I went to check with coretemp, realtemp, speccy and hwinfo and my cpu was 32 degrees. Even in speccy and hwinfo where it's the general cpu temperature not just the cores.

I restarted and went back to bios and it was 62 degrees. :confused: Went back to check in windows and it was a nice 32 degrees again.

I just need some reassurance. Is it possible for the bios temperature to be wrong? I mean if it was right at 62 degrees idle then heaven knows what temperature it would be reaching in-game and my pc would just shut off...

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Most definitely. There are many factors such as quality of the sensor and then the reading mechanism. And then add software and you can get values all over the chart and the only way to know for sure is with a high end temp probe.

The question actually is can it be right? ;)

P.S. I'm tired of you fretting over this old dual core! If I was a richer man I'd buy you a whole new rig! :D

System Name White Phantom
Processor i5 2500K @ 4.4ghz = 1.360-1.368 vcore
Motherboard asrock p67 pro (not pro3)
Cooling prolimatech megahalem with 2x nocuta in push pull (thanks to the 54thvoid) ;) , stock phantom fans
Memory 16gb Kingston hyper x ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Asus strix 970 ocd 1.5ghz core
Storage 240gb ssd , 1tb Western digital Black, western digital 320gb
Display(s) samsung syncmaster p2450 via DVI @1080p 60hz
Case White and blue NZXT Phantom (carbon fibred sides/door)
Audio Device(s) onboard , philips AMBX pro speakers 80watts rms
Power Supply Xfx750
Mouse Rat 3
Keyboard Act cheapo "gaming"
Software windows 10
Benchmark Scores world record for most amount of times machine has pissed me off ....
personally it may just be a simple heat sensor failure or false reading for some reason, if possible try to get a laser thermometer and double check but i would bet the sensors went bad :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
CPU is typically at some weird load state when in BIOS, temps are always higher than OS idle. Not sure why, but that's just what I've seen.

Also, alot of time BIOS may just report "case" temps, rather than actual core temp. Which one is shown is going to vary from board to board.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
remove all power to the machine, aka switch psu off or unplug it, do the proper Clear CMOS procedure, unplug HD from the motherboard. Power the board up without the HD attached. Run the Default settings for your machine not overclocked values, check the bios temperature at initial boot up and then after 5, then, 10 minutes of operation at the default clock speed. record down your test result, then shut it down and then hook the HD back up to the machine using default clock speeds and check the bios temps again and then record those and then go into windows and record the values there. check all your data you got. Then if it seems fine in bios and windows re-implement the OC and rinse and repeat the above steps with the OC values. If all seems fine id get a temperature gun.

CPU is typically at some weird load state when in BIOS, temps are always higher than OS idle. Not sure why, but that's just what I've seen.

Also, alot of time BIOS may just report "case" temps, rather than actual core temp. Which one is shown is going to vary from board to board.

My Sig rig with a mod bios had the values flipped for system and CPU temperature, id shoot the CPU and the temp would be lower than the reported temp in bios and vice versa for the system temp, system temp on the board was ran by the NB.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
P.S. I'm tired of you fretting over this old dual core! If I was a richer man I'd buy you a whole new rig! :D

Thing is I love this cpu, it runs my games fine... and also I would never buy a pre-built. I'd do it myself but then I don't really have the time right now, I prefer to spend my time either on the net or gaming rather than building and overclocking from scratch once more. I will be doing so though when I have no choice.

Just so you get an idea, I originally had a pre-built system with a Pentium Willamette chip 1.6Ghz, FX440 graphics and 256MB RAM. I upgraded to 512MB RAM and FX5500 graphics. In 2007 I discovered Oblivion, and after registering here and reading and reading I decided to build my pc for the first time, bought a E4300, P5B mobo, 2GB RAM and 8600GTS. Then I oc'd the E4300 to 3Ghz. Then I got an 8800GT....
Then even later I got this E8400, got it to 4Ghz, added 2GB more of RAM and got the 5970 and a 800W Corsair. In the meantime I changed monitors from 1280x1024 to 1680x1050 to 2560x1440... And got a SSD for my OS and games.

The only parts I'm using from my original built are the mobo... and its battery :laugh:

Next step is a total upgrade - mobo, ram, cpu...
I'm just waiting for the right time when my games need it. :)

personally it may just be a simple heat sensor failure or false reading for some reason, if possible try to get a laser thermometer and double check but i would bet the sensors went bad :)

But if the sensors are failing in the bios, aren't those the same sensors which read temperatures in software like realtemp and hwinfo?

Last edited:
System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
I know that as already mentioned, while in BIOS the CPU does seem to have some sort of load on it in all systems I have cared to spend a decent amount of time in BIOS with.

But still rather strange that the temperature would be that high in BIOS.
Especially if it is straight off cold boot.

I have a similar problem with my machine.
Temperatures in core temp & Occt are all ten degrees higher than in Real Temp.