1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can my computer handle SLI?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by MikeTyson, Dec 11, 2009.

1. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anybody know if my current rig <<<<

Could handle 2 cards in SLi in terms of power?

Cos it's only a Hiper Type R 480W, but I really can't afford a new PSU :(

Thanks =]

2. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think your mobo can't handle sli.

However I believe you could download a hacked driver which would enable it but I don't know any information other then that.

I don't know to much on your graphics card unfortunately, but you may find the answer on this site: http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

I searched your card quickly, and found its there, so you can sli, but I didn't go any further then that.

Hope I helped. ;)

3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Your motherboard is a socket 975x and therefore does not support SLi, your current PSU in any case would not support two 7950GT's in any case even if it did, if you truly wanted to upgrade your graphics performance at mimimum cost, sell your current (and fairly dated) card and buy yourself something like a single HD4770 or similar if money is tight.

4. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mmm, yea thank you :)

I was enquiring about this after also seeing the hacked drivers around, just wondered if the 480W would be enough ^_^

5. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well Tatty, I got this card for £20 off a friend, cos I don't really like spending money on my PC

So I figured cheap and cheerful still gets the job done (Y)

Cos I can play Modern Warfare 2 on 1280x1024 fairly high, and that's fine :D

6. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Do you know the amperage on your PSU? it would be cutting it fine but you may be able to squeeze some SLi goodness out of it possibly if you kept them at stock.

7. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    In theory, your psu is strong enough for a lower end SLI capable system. Possibly cards on the equivalent of 9600GT's (early versions) power consumption.

Although your lacking the motherboard, it's always a 50/50 with hack/mod that it could possibly work correctly.

9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    The PSU has 18A + 16A 12v rails, for a total of 34 Amps 12v. The power supply may not be a good quality model, so I would expect less than those values.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm guess I'll have to wait and test it when I get hold of the second card

Obviously I won't buy it until i know it works =]

11. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    It may just do it, the PSU is kind of "mid" quality but if it can maintain that amperage, or close to it you may just be able to get away with it. it would appear that at stock clocks your cards burn at 3D load around 65W each, obviously there is all the other components to think about there also.

As has been said, the hack does not always work and I dont know it's success with older chipsets/boards such as the 975, on top of that i would only probably take the risk with the PSU if you can get that 2nd 7950Gt for peanuts, you dont wanna spend much money to find that either the hack wont work or the PSU fails and you have a 2nd card that you cant do anything with, so I suppose I am saying the odds are against you a little.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  12. MikeTyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well that's the thing, I'm getting it from a mate, so I can borrow the card from him and test it without actually buying it :)

Trouble is, there are no local stores that sell useful stuff, like Arctic Cooling TIM or actual decent brand name CPU coolers, and I don't buy things from the internet, so this is proving to be quite hard.

13. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    hacking SLI on the 975x...I did it with 7600ls on my Abit. the real issue as I see it, the drivers you have to use are ancient....but the hack worked best with 7series. (I'm on about the oldschool hack, not the newer one they are having better luck with in a thread here) Google 975x sli and I'm sure you will find the same info I did

14. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    just my 2c the sli hack corrupted 2 of my operating systems badly had to reformat so I wont touch those drivers again.