1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

can my PSU handle GTX 460?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Neewt, Sep 7, 2010.

  1. Neewt New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2010
    Messages:
    2 (0.00/day)
    Thanks Received:
    0
    Hi, I got a FSP 400-60APN 400W 80+ Bronze PSU and my current specs are:
    Amd Phenom II x4 965 BE
    Gigabyte-GA-790XTA-UD4
    4gb ddr3
    HD radeon 5770
    7200 RPM IDE HD
    No sound card/PCI-slots

    and I've had no problems whatsoever. Now I'm planning on buying a gigabyte GTX 460 768 mb and was wondering if my 400w quality PSU can handle it?

    http://www.itbankeurope.com/FSP400-60APN_/

    Thanks.
  2. [Ion]

    [Ion] WCG Team Assistant

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2009
    Messages:
    11,787 (6.52/day)
    Thanks Received:
    10,889
    Location:
    North Carolina, United States
    I think you'd be pushing it. I'd suggest an Antec TruePower New 550w or similar :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. meran New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2010
    Messages:
    469 (0.32/day)
    Thanks Received:
    27
    Location:
    baghdad/iraq
    yes 460 with amd quad core is too much for 400W psu considering that u have 5770 ,the 5770 use 75 watt this freak use up too 160w!!!
  4. mad1394

    mad1394 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Messages:
    127 (0.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    35
    The minimum recommended for a gtx 460 is a 450W power supply. And if you do decide to get a new power supply make sure its from a decent brand like Corsair, Seasonic or OCZ.
  5. JrRacinFan

    JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2007
    Messages:
    19,414 (7.13/day)
    Thanks Received:
    4,483
    Location:
    Youngstown, OH
    Without overclocking you will be ok.
  6. [Ion]

    [Ion] WCG Team Assistant

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2009
    Messages:
    11,787 (6.52/day)
    Thanks Received:
    10,889
    Location:
    North Carolina, United States
    I'd shy away from OCZ, they're OK at best. Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, XFX, and Enermax are all good. Some ThermalTakes are good, but a lot are crap.....
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. JrRacinFan

    JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2007
    Messages:
    19,414 (7.13/day)
    Thanks Received:
    4,483
    Location:
    Youngstown, OH
    To add, silverstone, seventeam, xigmatek, some kingwins, some cheiftecs.
  8. [Ion]

    [Ion] WCG Team Assistant

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2009
    Messages:
    11,787 (6.52/day)
    Thanks Received:
    10,889
    Location:
    North Carolina, United States
    Also good :)

    Although the Xiggys are a bit mediocre when compared to some of the other CWT-based ones. Still overall good, better than OCZs ;)
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Neewt New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2010
    Messages:
    2 (0.00/day)
    Thanks Received:
    0
  10. [Ion]

    [Ion] WCG Team Assistant

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2009
    Messages:
    11,787 (6.52/day)
    Thanks Received:
    10,889
    Location:
    North Carolina, United States
    I'd still try and get a new one, I'll just say that I wouldn't run a GTX460 and a quad on a 400w. Probably a 450w or 500w minimum.

    And that way you'd have flexibility for overclocking or upgrading
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. JrRacinFan

    JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2007
    Messages:
    19,414 (7.13/day)
    Thanks Received:
    4,483
    Location:
    Youngstown, OH
    Oh and honorable mention for a grade b oem, hec cougar zephyr 750w. Had one that was in thermaltake clothing and I was thoroughly impressed.
  12. mad1394

    mad1394 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Messages:
    127 (0.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    35
    Well, I guess sometimes you just gotta try and see what's up...or down...powered down in this case if the power supply won't be able to handle the load. 90% chance you will be fine with that power supply + gtx 460 as for the rest of the 10%, I figure the worst thing that can happen is for the system to become unstable in games or benchmarks that stress the video card.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guest)

Share This Page