1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can not find the windows installer

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Gobbas, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    Hi, somehow my wife's computer went nuts and a bunch of programs had to be uninstalled/repaired. But when trying to install skype again it gives her the following error: Can not create the directory: C:\windows\installer\{5C82DAE5-6EB0-4374-9254-BE3319BAE82} a file with this name already exists. Please rename or remove the file and click retry.

The problem is there is not even a folder called installer (view hidden folders is on), we also tried to just create a folder called installer in the windows folder but then it said the folder already existed. Is there some kind of extra ninja sneakyness the folders can do other than the standard hidde folder tag?

Oh right, she got XP.
  2. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:
    The sims 2 does same thing on my wife rigs.If i want to reinstall the sims2 i have to clean the registry before.
  3. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    Tried deleting as much as we could find in the registry but it did not solve it sadly. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Try using JV16 tools 1.3.0.195 as it's allways worked for me when programs will not install due to reg issue's. I've only used the freeware version in XP and the software is payware these days.
    http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/index.html

{5C82DAE5-6EB0-4374-9254-BE3319BAE82} Could be the link to tell the program it has been installed.

Check here see if you have that folder. I am on a XP x64 so if your on x86 OS remove the (x86).

D:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information

It is possible to move all contents of this folder to a new one just to see if it works or not BUT make sure you put them all back after.
  5. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    Sadly neither of those solutions worked either but thanks for the suggestions. Seems like we might have to format the computer.
  6. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Do you have Hide protected operating system files unchecked as well? I run xp64 and do indeed have a c:\windows\installer folder with a pile of stuff in it. You should see this:[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
    Gobbas says thanks.
  7. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    Well don't we feel stupid now, yeah totaly missed the system folders thing. I guess there was an extra ninja sneaky hidey thingy then.

Thanks alot, it sure works now.