1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

can someone mod a bios for a mobo?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by rage, Mar 5, 2006.

1. rage

Thanks Received:
    hi all, i was wonderin if one of you could mod my mobo bios.
    i have a asus p4gpl-x mobo and my cpu Vcore can't be set higher than 1.7 Volt. my old mobo (p4p800) can be set to 1.95 Volt.
    my guess is that the software on the bios controles this max.
    i read about an other board someware that could go further after a bios update..and since i have the latest version that won't do the trick..
    i know there are some guys here and can change VGA bios, could you do the same for my mobo Vcore stuff??

the bios file is to big to attach, so here's a link to it:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P4GPL-X

hope someone could do it, greets rage

2. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. Don't know if anyone wants to be responsible if your motherboard dies. Just my opinion though.

3. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The p4gpl-x is a S478 mobo according to google, seeing that you had a P4P800 before I'm wondering if you're using a Northwood or Prescott. If you use a Northwood I wouldn't go past 1.7V, I'm not sure if the Prescotts still have the same problem though.

4. rage

Thanks Received:
    it's a 3.2c northwood with hypertreading, default Vcore 1.5 Volt now makin 3.75Ghz @ 1.7Volt. it can go furter, but it's gettin instable if i go past 3.75. i have seen a similar CPU run @ 1.9 Vcore.. my cooling should also be ok. the temp doesn't exeed 51 degrees celcius @ full load(whole day gaming & 2x torture test) . it should keep things cool till 4 Ghz

5. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
  6. rage

Thanks Received:

ok i have read it, indeed no problem :D
    the article is about a different core, the 533Mhz FSB steppingC1/stepping7. i have the 800Mhz FSB core with stepping D1/stepping 9.
    so maybe it doesn't goess fore my "precious".(atleast i hope so)
    i want too try it anyway if possible, if it dies, i will just buy an other cpu.but thanks fore the notice!! i overclocked this weekend a friends PC and that things HAS the core from the story, i will return that one to default:ohwell:

7. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If you're not afraid of breaking things look for voltmods using U-wires.