1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

can two same sized ram run dual channel??

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Darkgundam111, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so I recently heard from corsair when i was sending in my RMA that all dual channel kits are made in a special pairing that would guarantee that the two worked in dual channel very well, so even if they were the same exact model and version and size, they might not work as well as if they were paired by the manufacturer. is this true? I had always thought two sticks of the same size would be able to do dual channel. given that the speeds would run by the slower specs. cuz I am thinking about getting two sticks of ram not in a dual channel kit but are the same ones for my uncle.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    IT matters that they know the sticks were binned to run together. For me it is more for over clocking, as they should OC very close to each other. If you don't OC it matters very little, as long as they run the same timings and such.

If you bought them in a pair, RMA them in a pair, its the best way to go in my opinion.
    Darkgundam111 says thanks.
  3. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i RMA the corsair sticks together to get a new pair. but was wondering if my uncle's comp would be able to run dual channel with two sticks bought separately but still the same kind. he isn't overclocking for a fact, so i guess it should work just fine then?
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, theoretically it should work with relatively little effort.
    Darkgundam111 says thanks.