1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can VGA BIOS get corrupted?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by warup89, Mar 17, 2008.

1. warup89

Thanks Received:
    Well i rly never heard of it happening, but a week a ago i forcely disconnected my pc while loading a game map, and everything in my PC got corrupted, i had to use a backup drive and notice that my screen would loose signal when the res. is changed, thinking it was the old driver i un-installed them and got the latest and still the same thing. i got worried so i just decided to reinstall windows and still the same thing. So i know its not the software but rather card. i checked for any physical damage and nothing so im bogled here. i got to the point on suspecting that the BIOS is corrupted.
  2. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    VGA BIOS's can certainly get corrupt... although im not sure whether its possible to while ur loading stuff... i woulda thought its main "danger" time would either be flashing the BIOS (obviously its most dangerous time) or while the card is at its peak of booting from the BIOS (doubt that'd corrupt it though........)

my recommendation would b if TPU has ur cards bios in there database.. try downloading it & get some software (either a TPU article or a google seach will find enough info) to flash it 2 ur card...

i cant guarantee that this is the problem.. but if it were me.. these are steps i'd probably take...
    or u can wait for some other suggestions...
  3. warup89

Thanks Received:
    ill try re-flashing because this card is already flashed, originally this card is a x1800xl but i had flashed to XT PE for more than a yr now.
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    If it's a bad flash it can get corrupted. If you never touched the BIOS I find it hard to believe.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Firedomain

Firedomain New Member

Thanks Received:
    let us know if the reflash works for yu.. if not... my next guess would b its stuffed! lol... well...... i wouldnt give up just on that... but i would b pretty bummed bout the whole thing.....

possibly try reflashing back to its original BIOS.... may for some reason be stressing over its increased speeds all of the sudden... even tho it has been running at em for over a yr......
  6. warup89

Thanks Received:
    well i tried flashing with diff BIOS's and still the same, well i hate to admit it but after all this yrs of great performance and stability my x1800xt PE has finally died :cry:, now i gotta find a card with the same or better performance.

R.I.P!