1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can windows read large FAT32 partitions?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by CowboyFromHell, Feb 7, 2014.

1. CowboyFromHell

Thanks Received:
    So basically my friends TV cant read his 1TB external drive and me being the village tech guy, I have to fix it. Sigh.

It's NTFS at the moment, which I believe to be the problem. When I go to format it in windows, it only has exFAT and NTFS, this is because windows can only format drives up to 32GB in FAT32. I can get 3rd party software to format it, thats not the problem, the problem is windows being able to recognize the drive after I format it. Which brings us to the thread title.

???

Happy Valentines in a week. :D :)
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    What TV is it? My Samsung can read pretty much any kind of attached storage NTFS or FAT.
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Windows can read it. It just cant create it. Check the manual of the TV i dont think it has to be Fat32
    CowboyFromHell says thanks.
  4. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Best way is to format the HDD in the TV and see if your Windows can read it.

For random internet people coming here: my Panasonic STW60 can read NTFS just fine
    Jetster and CowboyFromHell say thanks.
  5. dannylillhtc

Thanks Received:
    my samsung 43" has a 1tb drive attached all the time formatted as ntfs, so i can keep HD mkv files on it