1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cancer hits home - time for me to fold again.

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by kyle2020, Dec 30, 2009.

1. kyle2020 Guest

Alright guys, unfortunately earlier today my mother broke some news to me thats shook me big time, my grandfather has unfortunately been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. Its treatable, however due to his age and current illnesses it may be the final chapter for him.

I slacked off folding a while back, me and MoonPig folded under one name and almost hit 250,000 points. I stopped due to summer heat and electricity bill worries, however I now pay board and its the winter, and due to the recent news I am going to be restarting my folding career. It will just be with my GTX260 at first, however if I can get a stable job on the go I will try and add another dedicated machine to my name.

Id just like to thank all those who are folding now and have been for some time, now I can truly appreciate the urgency of such an effort.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I shal be participating in this forum as much as I can from now on. Thanks guys.

2. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for you man. Its a bad timing indeed to hear such bad news.

3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    keep your head up. ill up my folding efforts.

4. kyle2020 Guest

Thanks Assaulter, it is a bad time any time really but straight after christmas, you know it just makes you wonder why, you know? its unfair.

Thank you Rhino, thank you so much.

5. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    i lost my grand father to cancer and i just got back form a wake for another loss to it but i hope there is better news for u in the new year regarding that

6. kyle2020 Guest

Thanks for the kind words Dr. Obviously ill keep people updated.

7. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear such bad news but keep your head high and I sincerely hope that your grandfather will win his fight against this terrible disease.

8. kyle2020 Guest

Thanks hemi, I mean he's an idol to me, hes served in the navy, worked as a fireman, and has a truely altruistic personality, something society today is lacking and I cant bear the thought of losing such a gentleman.

9. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear that... I started folding for the same reasons.....Cancer is a bad thing to deal with.:banghead: Good luck to you and your grandfather..

10. kyle2020 Guest

Its heartwarming to have such kind words from people I have never met half way around the world, thank you so much.

11. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    Keep your head up bro. Lemme share a little story with you.

7 years ago, when I was 10, the doctors diagnosed my mother with breast cancer and said it was spreading so fast there was nothing that they could do. She wouldn't live more then 6 months. Well, im 17 now, and she is still kicking, a little slower, but she is still here, cancer free.

So take it from me, cancer is unpredictable, but keep faith. It will help through the whole ordeal :) My prayers go to you and yours.

Exeodus says thanks.
  12. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Kyle wow man! All I can say is that I wish you and your family the best of luck and hope your grandfather can make it through! If you need anything at all and I mean anything please don't hesitate to contact me.

Me and you go way back to our early TPU days, hurts me to see you post this man. I don't Fold, but I do crunch a whole lot :rockout:

13. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I get what you mean bro. Life's so unfair sometimes. Just keep your head up and stay positive. Like many here have said, keep faith.

14. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear such news, man . . .

speaking from personal experience, cancer of any kind is something I would never wish on anyone . . . even my enemies. The best advice I can offer you, make sure to show your support. It's hard for someone to really accept what has befallen them, even more-so when it's a condition that literally strikes without warning, and can be related to nothing in one's family history . . . you're left with the "why me?" question, and there are no answers. Not to mention, being subjected to treatments can really affect someone as well - they make you feel sick, and just slowly wear one down. Not having support of close family and friends is an absolute horrible experience, especially when facing such mis-understood conditions.

Hope all turns out well for your family. Don't dwell on the negative. One's attitude really does make a phenomenal difference when facing such conditions. :toast:

15. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Welcome back. I am sorry for the unfortunate circumstances. Let us know if you need anything.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear the news Kyle. I wish only the best for you and your grandfather.

17. kyle2020 Guest

Thank you all, imperial that was really touching to read, thank you so much.

18. dhoshaw

dhoshaw

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear about your grandfather. It seems that we are constantly being reminded why we all fold. There is always the hope that the next wu we finish will be the one that paves the way for the next great breakthrough. Fold on TPU!

Chicken Patty says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    i shall fold under your name when i get back.pmed

20. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Just started folding again.

dhoshaw and Chicken Patty say thanks.
  21. road-runner

road-runner New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear this, I know how you feel my mother is undergoing radiation twice a day and chemo for small cell lung cancer. I have been folding since 2003 and also running WCG help conquer cancer to try to help them find a cure and it cant come quick enough... :(

Chicken Patty says thanks.
  22. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Wow, really sorry man. I'll start back now then, see what this 4870 can manage!

PM with the team name. Same as before?

23. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    about ~4500-5000ppd, judging by my 4850 doing 4000ppd

MoonPig says thanks.
  24. Charper2013

Charper2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My prayers are with you and your family Kyle. Good luck man. Keep ya head up.

25. jjFarking

jjFarking New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's tough news mate :/
    I'm sure most people will have some cancer-related story, as it's so prevalent in modern-day society - this is, perhaps, the very reason so little effort seems to be made in finding a real cure for it.
    F@H & WCG are just 2 of the projects that do tend to focus on doing exactly that - finding a cure of sorts.
    Personally, I lost my ex-wife to it - it was the reason we split up in the first place - the so-called third person (she wasn't diagnosed with it, until it was too far gone; by the time they found it, it had already spread throughout her body. It took her, less than 9 months after the diagnosis. Our son was only 13 at the time).
    Life sux sometimes mate :/

Stay positive. The light at the end of the tunnel is not always the oncoming train.