1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cannot Access the BIOS

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Jenesis, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Jenesis

Jenesis New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a rather weird problem.

I can't access the BIOS. When the MSI splash screen with "Press <Del> to enter BIOS" comes up, I press Del, and nothing happens. The machine boots as normal. There are no other problems with the PC. I only want to access the BIOS to see if it is viable to do a little bit of overclocking.

I think it may be something to do with my keyboard. I have a Logitech G15, and as you know, it lights up. It does not light up until the "Welcome to Windows" screen, and I have a feeling that this means the keys will not work unless it lights up.

The weird part is that the BIOS used to work. I could access it by pressing Del when prompted with no problems, now it doesn't register my keypress at all. Any thoughts, gentlemen?
  2. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Have you a PS/2 keyboard you could try.
    There should be an option in bios to enable your USB keyboard at startup,if you can get in that is!!
  3. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, your keyboard is too good for your bios :p

If, when you power up your pc, the lights on your keyboard only come on when your entering windows it's probably because you need special drivers to use the keyboard, thus it won't work for you in the bios.

It's more than likely that you're going to need a more "basic" keyboard ;) try a PS/2 one or something.

Oh, sometimes in people's bios's there is an option to enable keyboard support in MS-DOS or something like that, may work - but your gonna need another keyboard to get into the bios to begin with XD
  4. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're using the same motherboard now as you were when you could use the Del key?
  5. Jenesis

Jenesis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, same mobo. This system was built (from new parts apart from the gfx card) in May, and it's only recently that I've not been able to access the BIOS, but then I haven't been trying to get in so it may have been going on longer.

I've borrowed the PS/2 keyboard off my mum's (*shudder*) Windows 95 PC, I'll try it with that.

EDIT: Yep, it worked fine with the PS/2 keyboard. Obviously a USB keyboard issue then. D'oh. I went through the BIOS and I can't find anything related to USB keyboards. I guess if I want to overclock I'll have to "borrow" a keyboard :D
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  6. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem a few years back, I think it's mainly the wireless keyboards that are affected - my wired USB keyboard works fine for my bios, but my wireless PS/2 keyboard doesn't work with it.
  7. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Not sure of your bios but is Legacy USB support enabled in your bios.Try that.
  8. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Usb legacy storage is for an external hard drive. There should be an option usb keyboard and usb mouse, thats how mine is.
  9. Verikon

Verikon New Member

Thanks Received:
    It should be under "USB Configuration" and it will be called "USB Legacy Support", as oily_17 said, but usually you can still access the BIOS if that's disabled. It's only when you boot off a boot disk or something like the Ultimate Boot CD that you run into problems with that disabled.

I had issues with my MSI s939 board when I was doing extreme overclocking, where the USB would stop working one out of every four boots. Maybe it's something similar?