1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't Boot into Vista (dualbooting)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rol87, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    hi, So I decided to partition having xp and vista. Everything went well i was using vista and then i restarted and then it looked like it was going to take me to the screen were i gives me a choice of xp or vista to boot from. But it only appears for a split second and then it just boots into xp. What whent wrong? I had restarted vista before and this didn't happend.

thanks

2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    I forgot how it is with windows xp, but I thinks its right click my computerr and go click on properites, then click on the advance tab, then click on the settings for startup and recovery. It should allow you to choose what default OS you what to boot up and how long you what that selection menu to show 20, 10, 1, etc...

3. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    AHHH!!! on the default operation system it only has xp and the time for 30 sec. I was using vista before what happened does this mean that it doesn't exist? When i open my computer it has drive E which is where I installed vista.

4. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Im not an expert but maybe you should reistall XP and Vista, but have vista Installed first. Then once you have them both installed make sure the settings in vista have it for 30sec. Hopefully for your sake, someone who has experince dual booting with these two OS will help you, for I have never done a dual boot.

5. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Boot from the Vista DVD and on the screen where you're prompted to "Install now", select "Repair your computer".

The next screen searches for Vista installations,there should only be one, so click Next.

This loads the System Recovery Options screen. Select the option Startup Repair. This looks for problems and automatically fixes them.

Then reboot.

OR:

Boot from Vista dvd and at "Repair My Computer" click on "Command Prompt" and use the following

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot

Then restart.

6. Rol87

Thanks Received:
    ok I will give it a shot and see what happens I will post back.

7. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    You get the "other operating systems" screen as long as you install vista after xp

8. Rol87

Thanks Received:

Thanks it seem to work I haven't restarted to see if it does the same thing (iam using vista right now). I will restart later right know I am leaving thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  9. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    A good tool for editing Vista bootloader is EasyBCD.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

You can alter default OS that boots each time and also adjust your time for displaying them.