• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cant boot system, says 'Invalid partition table', also cant access advanced boot options?! HELP!

Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock PRO BK016
Memory Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz
Storage Force Series 3 120GB SSD, WD 3TB HDD
Case Fractal Design Define XL USB3.0 Full Tower Case - Black Pearl
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software Windows 7 64bit
I got the blue screen of death and it restarted...

It read 'Invalid partition table'

Since then i have tried to press f5 and f8 to access the advanced boot but nothing comes up.

I have also been into bios to try and see what harddrive is assigned to boot, its all okay there.

I dont have a disk drive on this computer as its a custom build but i installed windows 7 originally using a usb pen and set the boot to boot from that and installed it. Even tried sticking the usb stick with the setup again and it wont seem to reboot from that either.

Any help would be much apreciated as im getting so desperate here :/

Thanks in advance for any help!!

P.S. (More info)
I have windows 7 x64 i think and a corsair 128gb ssd drive with my operating system. I also have a few other hardrives. The computer is about two years old, was thinking maybe its a failed ssd drive but then i cant seem to boot from the usb pen either as thought about installing windows again on another hardrive.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
So it ether your HD was set to AHCI and switched to IDE at some point so check that. BIOS setting. Did you reset the BIOS at some point?

Or it was formatted with windows 7 with C drive and with another HD connected and now its disconnected so it won't boot because the MBR is on the other drive (Windows 7 does this never have another drive connected during an install)

Processor i5-3570k
Software Windows 7 64bit
So it ether your HD was set to AHCI and switched to IDE at some point so check that. BIOS setting. Did you reset the BIOS at some point?

Or it was formatted with windows 7 with C drive and with another HD connected and now its disconnected so it won't boot because the MBR is on the other drive (Windows 7 does this never have another drive connected during an install)

I did do a reset Bios settings after all this had happened to see if that would help? I will check when i get on in a minute, where would i find AHCI and IDE settings in Bios?

Also what your saying is to boot from a usb and re install windows i have to have all other hardrives unplugged?

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
No I'm saying if there was another harddrive connected when the system was formatted and Windows installed then it needs to be connected or it will not boot

IDE /AHCI setting is under the SATA sections. If it was formatted as AHCI it will not boot if its set to IDE and Visa Versa

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
You won't be able to repair windows off a USB stick. I betcha if you clear the CMOS (bios) that might just do the trick so you can boot.
Give it a try and post back.

Processor i5-3570k
Software Windows 7 64bit
You won't be able to repair windows off a USB stick. I betcha if you clear the CMOS (bios) that might just do the trick so you can boot.
Give it a try and post back.

Thanks. I have tried reseting the cmos and been in bios to play around and went back to factory defualts and nothing :/ Cant seem to be able to boot from my usb stick which is what i did to install windows two years ago when i built to the rig.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Yeah that's the crappy part of not having a DVD drive. You can boot into the bios correct?

What about just unplugging the ssd and try a spare HDD and see if you can load off the stick.

:edit.. How about selecting boot override in the bios?
You have all the boot drives there but just below there should be an option to boot off whatever so when you goto restart its going to load off what you selected.

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Threads merged and cleaned up!

Processor i5-3570k
Software Windows 7 64bit
Yeah that's the crappy part of not having a DVD drive. You can boot into the bios correct?

What about just unplugging the ssd and try a spare HDD and see if you can load off the stick.

:edit.. How about selecting boot override in the bios?
You have all the boot drives there but just below there should be an option to boot off whatever so when you goto restart its going to load off what you selected.

Well to be fair i havent used a DVD drive once lol.

I cant boot into bios but cant seem to change the boot overide to boot from USB?!

I have tried unpluging the ssd drive, think its had it?

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
No, it sounds like It was installed in AHCI mode and it's flipped back to IDE.

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
heres a secenario that can cause issues..

you build your system and connect hard disks in any old manner you like.
you get to windows install and say I think il use "this drive" (not the 1st one)
You dont think a thing about it. but remember that windows is installed to your (x ammount of GB hard disk)
you get an issue and reset bios or flash bios or similar. You go check the settings and tell the pc to boot from the hard disk you installed windows to.
"will not boot"
Windows actually installed the boot table to the 1st disk any way even though you told it to use a diferent drive. (probably to save bios config head aches for noobs)
Or you swaped the drives physicall location. (moved the hard disk from sata 2 to sata1 so bios sees it as the primary)
In either situation the fix is to set the correct drive as the primary. (which ever drive was primary when you set up windows, and its best to have them conected in the same physicall location 2)

As others have mentioned changing from ide to ahci or vice versa will also cause it to be unable to find the correct info. so change it back. always remembering that it could be a combination of both of the above..

and it is possible that you would need to fix the mbr if you BSOD'd
if all teh hard disks are found in the bios and there is no horrible noises (mechanical drives) then you could boot with a windows disk and use the command prompt to fix mbr.

the bot order for usb isnt in the "cd rom hdd boot order list. its in a second hdd boot order list. and will only be there with the usb attached.

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
No, it sounds like It was installed in AHCI mode and it's flipped back to IDE.
Especially true if he has done some CMOS resets!

Processor i5-3570k
Software Windows 7 64bit
heres a secenario that can cause issues..

you build your system and connect hard disks in any old manner you like.
you get to windows install and say I think il use "this drive" (not the 1st one)
You dont think a thing about it. but remember that windows is installed to your (x ammount of GB hard disk)
you get an issue and reset bios or flash bios or similar. You go check the settings and tell the pc to boot from the hard disk you installed windows to.
"will not boot"
Windows actually installed the boot table to the 1st disk any way even though you told it to use a diferent drive. (probably to save bios config head aches for noobs)
Or you swaped the drives physicall location. (moved the hard disk from sata 2 to sata1 so bios sees it as the primary)
In either situation the fix is to set the correct drive as the primary. (which ever drive was primary when you set up windows, and its best to have them conected in the same physicall location 2)

As others have mentioned changing from ide to ahci or vice versa will also cause it to be unable to find the correct info. so change it back. always remembering that it could be a combination of both of the above..

and it is possible that you would need to fix the mbr if you BSOD'd
if all teh hard disks are found in the bios and there is no horrible noises (mechanical drives) then you could boot with a windows disk and use the command prompt to fix mbr.

the bot order for usb isnt in the "cd rom hdd boot order list. its in a second hdd boot order list. and will only be there with the usb attached.

Thanks very much for explaing but thats the first thing i checked, and funily enough the ssd drive i use for windows wasnt showing at all so was a bit concearned. The next day it seems to have magically appeared and i have re set it as the primary boot!

The next think to do when i get home is check the AHCI and IDE settings, how that would have flipped over on its own i dont know.

Was a bit confused when you mentioned 'The bot order for usb isnt in the "cd rom hdd boot order list. its in a second hdd boot order list. and will only be there with the usb attached', Could you explain again lol?! Thanks

System Name Sham Pc
Processor i5-2500k @ 4.33
Motherboard INTEL DZ77SL 50K
Cooling 2 bay res. "2L of fluid in loop" 1x480 2x360
Memory 16gb 4x4 kingstone 1600 hyper x fury black
Video Card(s) hfa2 gtx 780 @ 1306/1768 (xspc bloc)
Storage 1tb wd red 120gb kingston on the way os, 1.5Tb wd black, 3tb random WD rebrand
Display(s) cibox something or other 23" 1080p " 23 inch downstairs. 52 inch plasma downstairs 15" tft kitchen
Case 900D
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply xion gaming seriese 1000W (non modular) 80+ bronze
Software windows 10 pro x64
there are 2 boot order lists in most bioses now.
1st you have

Cdorm
hdd
lan
usb floppy
etc

then if you search you will find a second

which has
Hdd 1
hdd 2
usb

the 1st one tells the bios which type of drive to try and boot from 1st.
the second tell it which hard disk to boot from 1st.
a usb drive these days gets detected as a hard disk so its in the second list.

so you set the 1st list to HDD 1st bot
and the second list you set to usb drive as the 1st hard disk.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
*just in case anybody else needs this info
windows DOES NOT split the /boot partition between drives EVER its always on the same physical disk as the os you can Opt not to have one at all meaning that the boot sector will exist on the same partition as the os(the only exception to this is if you define a system reserved partition manual or one already exists THEN you might have a problem The problem you are having has absolutely nothing todo with what disks where present when you installed the os thats just plain silly

secondly you can indeed repair a no-boot from a usb key I am not sure who tould these people other wise but all you need a windows 7 iso and RUFUS http://rufus.akeo.ie/ Or the mircosoft dvd download tool
secondly you don't need to reinstall to os all you need todo is boot from the usb key and get into a command prompt first try these
1. bootrec.ece/fixmbr
2. bootrec.exe/fixboot
3. bootrec /rebuildbcd
in that order!
MAKE sure you run a "dir" command to ensure the correct disk is targeted sometimes the recovery prompt gets the drive letters wrong
if the above doesn't work you many need to purge the old BCE records and rebuild the table ill walk you though that if needed
a SSD automagicly forgetting partitions usually means the drive is in a death spiral and you should do a full backup and replace the drive ASAP

Processor i5-3570k
Software Windows 7 64bit
*just in case anybody else needs this info
windows DOES NOT split the /boot partition between drives EVER its always on the same physical disk as the os you can Opt not to have one at all meaning that the boot sector will exist on the same partition as the os(the only exception to this is if you define a system reserved partition manual or one already exists THEN you might have a problem The problem you are having has absolutely nothing todo with what disks where present when you installed the os thats just plain silly

secondly you can indeed repair a no-boot from a usb key I am not sure who tould these people other wise but all you need a windows 7 iso and RUFUS http://rufus.akeo.ie/ Or the mircosoft dvd download tool
secondly you don't need to reinstall to os all you need todo is boot from the usb key and get into a command prompt first try these
1. bootrec.ece/fixmbr
2. bootrec.exe/fixboot
3. bootrec /rebuildbcd
in that order!
MAKE sure you run a "dir" command to ensure the correct disk is targeted sometimes the recovery prompt gets the drive letters wrong
if the above doesn't work you many need to purge the old BCE records and rebuild the table ill walk you though that if needed
a SSD automagicly forgetting partitions usually means the drive is in a death spiral and you should do a full backup and replace the drive ASAP

Thanks for that...

I originally installed from usb stick to ssd, guessing the ssd drive is dead now as it wont show up in the bios or boot register.

Now the problem im having is i cant seem to boot from the usb stick, i click F12 on start up and it shows there but when i click on it i get a black screen with the words 'Start booting from USB device... Remove disks or other media. Pressany key to restart.', I press any key and nothing happens and i wait and nothing so i restart and try again?! Im really struggling here lol, any ideas? Oh and FYI its the same usb stick i used to boot and install windows 7 two years ago, think it was an iso my brother made for me!

Attachments

• restart screen.jpg
    restart screen.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 2,168
  • bios boot screen options.jpg
    bios boot screen options.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,781
Last edited:
System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
Use rufus to make the windows 7 .iso usb-boot-able I perfer it over the download tool because the download tool can be finnicky

Processor i5-3570k
Software Windows 7 64bit
Use rufus to make the windows 7 .iso usb-boot-able I perfer it over the download tool because the download tool can be finnicky

Sorry to be a pain but can you remind me how do it?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64