1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't Boot To Windows Or Installation Disc

Discussion in 'General Software' started by DaveK, Jul 6, 2011.

1. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I have a strange problem here. Turned to my PC as usual today only for it to act funny. When I
    first booted up and got to the desktop nothing worked, the wireless didn't connect and when I clicked an icon it froze. I opened up the task manager to fixed RAM usage constantly at around 950MB and CPU usage at 1%. I rebooted and everything was fine, then Apple Software Updater wanted to update iTunes then froze my PC. I rebooted again to get the same problem I had the first time. After a few more tries I restored to when I uninstalled Microsoft Security Center or whatever, only to see a blank white screen instead of a desktop. Tried safe mode and it didn't work. Sometimes it would get stuck on the welcome screen when booting normally. I tried the Windows disc and it would get to the background but the menu wouldn't show up.

I reset my overclocks and tried booting with one stick of RAM, still nothing. Any ideas?

2. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Could be failing HDD. If you've got a spare HDD, install OS on that. Then plug in your other HDD in Windows and run your favourite SMART monitoring program.

3. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate what scaminatrix said, but there may be a less (or no) costly solution since you've obviously got another internet connected device. Download a live distribution of linux, or the UBCD (ultimate boot cd).

These two options will allow you to manually test things like the HDD, RAM, and scan windows for corruption errors. Just make sure the optical drive (or usb) is set to the primary boot device in the bios.

What you've described could be way too many things for anyone to know what is going wrong without some more info. Do some testing (HDD and RAM are easiest), then get back to us.

4. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    ^ I would do that. It's free to do to do. Well at the cost of one CD, and that's like 2p.

Though maybe consider the hard drive failing, however I would think you have seen signs of failure before it just going completely on you.

5. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    It might be possibleto check if the HDD is at fault by disconnecting and attempting to get the windows disk to boot to menu.

I think it's more likely to be a failure on the mobo, caused by either the mobo itself, or faulty PSU or loose plug.

6. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    I'm unable to boot to the Windows disc so installing to the second hard drive I have is not an option. I have also unplugged the drives from the PC ruling them out, the problem still persists. I ran the Ultimate Boot CD and done a RAM test, nothing failed.

That leaves the motherboard, processor and PSU. I don't see why it would be the PSU though, it's only about 18 months old and isn't pushed to the limit. The processor and mobo on the other hand are quite old and have been used in overclocking a lot.

It's still a very weird problem. After the Windows logo comes up the screen will just stay black with the mouse cursor on the screen, Safe Mode is the same as is the Windows installation disc even with the hard-drives plugged out. Something tells me I'm just going to have to do an overhaul, it's still going to cost around €250 so it's not a cheap fix.

7. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Tried resetting CMOS? Long shot, but well worth a try.

8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    might be failing anything that is playing with the OS through its driver

might be the South Bridge dying, if not the HDD