1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't boot with 3870

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Lillebror, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all!

I just bought a Club3d 3870 card.. But when i put it in, it dosent show anything on my screen? :s

My x1950pro works, but my new one dosent :wtf:

Anyone knows what the problem could be? Ive already tryied the card in another machine, and it works fine!

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    what was the other rigs power supply look like?

3. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont know the brand, but it was 450w

4. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    It would be better to list all your specs.

5. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    What info do you need? Aint all the things needed in my system specs?

6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Help us help you bud. ;)

You do not remember what brand the power supply was from the other computer, find that out though.

Try reducing your cpu back to stock and see if that helps. To me it sounds like the power supply is at fault here.

7. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does it boot up into Windows, like do you hear any sounds and just no display? Or is the system not booting at all? I had a 3850 that would not display anything over DVI, but worked only over Analog VGA cable. Do you have a VGA cable laying around to test it out?

8. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    The other one was a generic one.. and it was a 420w.
    I know owner of the company that made my psu, and he said they are factory testet with a system bigger than mine, and that the one i have, easily could run 8800gts sli. So i dont think its the psu.
    Ive even tryied to disconnect all my harddrives and fans and stuff, so only the most important part have power - still nothing :(

Edit: Yeah, my compute boots up, and i hear vista starts and stuff.. but just no display :( sadly i dont have any vga cables to test it with.

9. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Try reseting your bios,i have had to do that before with a new card for some reason.

10. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Already done a bios reset, and tried reflashing it again.. but nothing helps :(

11. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    your new card shouldnt need any more power then the old one.. i would say faulty card except u say it works in another machine..

odd.. try anything u can think of.. he he..

trog

12. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can it be my motherboard that dosent support it? even tho it seems a little weird :s

I can't really think of anything to do anymore.. its just weird, that i dont get any display, but everything works :s

13. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is the system actually booting up still with just no display? If so try what I said in an earlier post with a VGA cable or different monitor. It seems like the 3800 have this problem occasionally.

14. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the system is booting up. I can hear i boot into vista, and some people are writing to me over msn. I dont think its my monitor, as it works with my 1950pro. I dont know where my vga cable is gone, but when i find it, im gonna try it!

15. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not saying its the monitor, I have a 8600GT that was working while the 3850 wasn't. It turned out that the 3850 would not display anything over the DVI cable to that monitor. It worked with a VGA cable or to a different monitor. Its worth a shot. I've read of a number of 3800 owners who have this problem. Just take out a VGA cable that came with the monitor, attach the VGA-DVI converter and give it a shot. You need to rule things out to figure out what the problem is.

Lillebror says thanks.
  16. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. Maybe your right! the other computer i tested it on, was connected with a vga cable.. Wouldent it be better just to rma it and get a new one, that works with dvi? :D

Hmm.. ive looked all my cables throug.. I dont have any vga cable.. I dont think i got one with my monitor.. Anyway.. Im gonna go out and buy one tomorrow, to see if that helps

17. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I RMA'ed one and it didn't work either. The problem was either my DVI cable or the monitor itself, but I RMA'ed the monitor for a refund before I thought to test that. I bought a new Samsung monitor to replace the Chimei one. If you can, just test it with a VGA cable or another monitor if you have access to one.

18. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im just gonna go out tomorrow and buy a vga cable and try again.. and if that dosent work, im just gonna sell the card.. I bought the card for only $190, so it wasent that expensive

19. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hook up the additional 4 pin molex power to mobo near the memory and ATX connector, according to manual you shouldn't need it, but no harm in trying.

:toast:

20. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. Thats something i havent tried.. Im gonna go try that! :D Thanks!

21. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    That didnt work either :(

22. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i thinks its a card monitor cable thing.. try a different monitor it sounds that by default the card is banging out a resolution and refesh rate the lcd panel cant handle..

i have an older lcd panel that works thru the basic boot and loading screens but goes blank when it gets to windows.. it seems a stupid way for a monitor to behave but it works that way..

the only work around was to boot useing a different monitor set windows to a refesh rate the lcd panel can handle then reboot after fitting the lcd.. then it worked worked perfectly.. bit of a bugger if u aint git another monitor handy thow..

i had forgotten about it till your post reminded me.. its more common with older panels i think..

trog

23. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    CHeck BIOS settings in Advanced Chipset features to ensure "Init Display First" is set to PEG(PCI-e slot #1).
    M.I.T. > Robust Graphics Booster set to Auto.(default value)

Also you can try booting with the Virtualization Technology option "disabled".(default is enabled).

Emediatly after power up press <TAB> and see if you can view the "POST" screen and catch an error.

Other than that I would say reset the BIOS using the methode described in the "troubleshooting" section of mobo manual (towards the end) sometimes that helps.

:toast:

24. killatia New Member

Thanks Received:
    if all else fells try a more powerful powersupply.

25. Lillebror New Member

Thanks Received:
    In the other computer, it booted in at 10:7, so it can't be a to high res for my monitor.
    Virtualization Technology is disabled, its set to init PEG, but it still dosent show anything. I can hear the bios boot up and everything, and i can even hear that windows finds the new card! So it gotta be something between my monitor and the dvi port on the card.. But im gonna try what OrbitzXT said, so i ordered a vga cable. It should be here tomorrow.