1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

can't change multiplier in bios for OC

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Cotton_Cup, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    Since my previous thread has been answered and got a fix and now this concerns me, I've been seeing this problem since I came back from overseas and yes as the title says I can't change my multiplier it's grayed out and the one with AUTO (which let's me put a multiplier but can't change it because it needs to be like this [AUTO] with those brackets). some people do recommend me to take a click on my CMOS at the I/O panel but are there any other way first before I do this?? now it's running at 3.8Ghz (boost) lol and feels so freaking slow
  2. caveman59847

caveman59847 New Member

Thanks Received:
    changing multiplier

I would check to see that the CPU you are using is unlocked.I am betting that it is a CPu without the unlocking ability. Have you tried to overclock it using the FSB instead of the multiplier. Some older Mobo's need to use the FSB. Would you add what hardware you are using ?
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    He has an Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme Edition. It is very much so an unlocked CPU.

Is turbo turned on? You need to use turbo to overclock with the multiplier. Otherwise you'll need to use the CPU strap like I have to with my 3820, but you should still be able to crank the turbo multi up.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Hit "+" or "-" to change it from auto to manual. Or hit "enter" to pop up what options are available. ;)
  5. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    HI i just cleaned my entire pc a few moments ago and also did a cmos reset. and it seems it still didn't work but I'll try out cadaveca's suggestion and see if pressing the + or - will do on both the keyboard or my motherbard. but before I used to be able to change it by pressing enter then jhust select like 4.5 or so
  6. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    On some boards, you should "load optimized defaults" after resetting the CMOS, that sometimes fixed the same problem on my Asus Z77 board, but also found out that the BIOS version I was using was giving many people problems. The next version seemed to fix those issues, and now it's all good.
  7. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    I'll try that one too (just woke up hahahaha)

I'm using the 1.8.

I'll try out both cade and hoods suggestion hope this fix things (brown out last night so wasn't able to do much TT___TT)

edit: I notice that I can't also change my voltage (main one when you oc) this is without using OC genie on both the multiplier and the volt. and I don't like using oc genie seems like I can't bring out a better overclock with it.
  8. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I just updated my BIOS to one just released, and the damned thing was setting my bclk at 99.8 no matter what I did, and also running much hotter at the same OC settings, and finally went into a boot loop, so I re-flashed the previous BIOS, and all is back to normal. I'm only telling you this to illustrate how common it is for the firmware people to release a buggy BIOS - this is the 2nd time this has happened to me in 6 months. Asus is supposed to be a premium brand, and their prices reflect that, but their software and firmware is just as buggy as all the rest.